Amtrak from NYC to Washington DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 12:56 PM
Débora

Hello!

I would like to ask again for your help. Does anyone knows something about the Amtrak from NYC to Washington DC? Does the Metroliner better than the others? How can I reserve the first class?
Thanks in advance!

Débora

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:02 PM
Owen O'Neill

The Metroliner allows reserved (guaranteed) seating and is supposed to be a bit faster than the regular Amtrak train. Details are at www.amtrak.com or from inside the US you may call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:09 PM
am

Metroliner saves about 45 min but just about doubles your fare making it comparable (depends on day of wk too---metroliner more some days as with air)
with Delta shuttle. Some people think they ride with a more upscale crowd on the metroliner so if you are a snob thats a factor too. Metroliner is only slightly more physically attractive. You can call 1800 RailUSA.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:21 PM
Cass

The Metroliners run on a regular, virtually hourly schedule. They make fewer stops, go faster than the conventional trains and are somewhat more reliable as to departure and arrival. The seats are large and one rides a bit lower in the saddle than on conventional trains because these were designed for businessMEN. There are club cars/bar cars on most of them, but no dining car (which isn't such a great loss on Amtrak). Some have facilities attractive to business travellers -- phones, etc.

I would never fly this route so long as there is Metroliner service. Door-to-door (downtown to downtown), no plane is faster and most -- thanks to delays and cancellations -- are slower. In addition, you have to pay in time and money for the commute to and from the airports.

The conventional trains are usually segments of longer routes and therefore have dining cars and sometimes sleepers (which you wouldn't need for a short trip). For that reason, their schedule is less reliable, but traveling "custom class" on a conventional train is fairly comfortable and only a small surcharge over regular coach. "Custom class" puts in you a separate, reserved car, located so that traffic to the snack bar does not stream through it; it usually has TV/video screens; and you get free non-alcoholic beverages.

These trains are more unpredictable, so it's difficult to say that they offer a time advantage over flying. But they cost less than the Metroliner, and if time is not a priority (or if the Metroliners are fully booked, as they can be on Mon. and Fri.), they are often a completely satisfactory way to go. I usually go custom class if it's offered on the train, only take the Metroliner if I'm in a hurry or cannot risk being late at the other end.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:41 PM
Diane

I've used it frequently - usually from BWI airport station which is closer to my office. Metroliner is a bit faster, but lately there's not been much difference. The train is great city to city. My 22 year old daughter has used it several times to visit friends in NYC and Philly. Can't beat the availability and frequency.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 10:46 AM
lisa

The only time I take the Metroliner instead of one of the regular unreserved trains is if it's a holiday weekend or heavy travel time -- then I take Metroliner to ensure that I get a seat. Otherwise, I take the regular unreserved. There's not that much difference in the trains -- slightly larger/comfier seats on metroliner, but even the unreserved train seats are comfortable and a lot roomier than coach airline seats.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:52 AM
Leta

We are planning a trip to Washington DC. I hadn't even thought about being able to squeeze in NYC. How long does it take to get there on the train and approx. how much does it cost? Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:35 AM
Charles

Amtrak claims it will finally come out with its new High speed train, the Acela, next month. THis will add another, much faster, much more expensive option.

In general, the cheap trains are around 4 and a half hours and around $54 each way. THese are very approximate prices - its been a while since I did that route by train. If you have AAA you get a 10% discount if you ask for it.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 10:01 AM
Leta

Wow, thanks George for the quick reply. I have a family of four, so I don't know if it's worth $400+ to just go for one night to see the Statute of Liberty. Maybe we'll just stay in D.C. Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 10:52 AM
lisa

Charles & Leta -- I'm afraid Amtrak's fares have gone up significantly -- that $54 fare each way is LONG gone

You can see fares on amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 02:50 PM
Charles

Leta,
If you just want to see the statue of Liberty, etc. and you have a car, drive up for the day. It's a 4 hour drive or so. Tough but not impossible to do in a day (I've done it)

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Leta

Thanks to everyone for your help.