Amtrak Crescent and baggage

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak Crescent and baggage

My wife and I are getting on the Crescent in Salisbury at 6:17 am next week. The last time we rode on a train was in the late 50s (we are in our 80s). Evidently there will be no one there to check our bags so well have to lug them on to the train. Question: what do we do with them after we get on? Is there enough room at the coach seats, or is there a place to store. These are regular size suitcases.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a section when getting on train to put bags, if not at the end you board on then look at the other end. Lock them and keep an eye on them at stops. Pack as light as possible, have a good trip. I would bring snacks if long as the trek to the food car is a bit unsteady. Hoping we get some newer tracks.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Welcome to Fodor's forums Sorry don't know about the train luggage situation on east coast trains, but wishing you a good trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Exactly what we needed to know.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank You.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:07 AM

hiIve taken a number of the long distance routes, including a few times the Crescent (mind you, I was in a sleeper when I took the Crescent). Sometimes the area near the car entrance is already full with luggage. If so, there are overhead racks; typically some kind soul is happy to lift the luggage onto them if heavy. Commonly, an employee on the train is there to help load the luggage on the train too.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 03:52 AM

In Charlotte when I put an elderly friend on the train there was help offered in the station. I hope it will be the same for you. Included a golf cart ride to the proper car.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe at the station ask the person behind the counter. I would think they might have someone that would help.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 08:52 AM

It's the same as any train I've ever taken in any country, you take your own luggage on board and fit it on some racks somewhere (whether overhead of end of car or occasionally between some seats), unless the car isn't full at all and you can kind of have it next to you in the seat area.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 12:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
With the current pandemic coach rules, they are limiting coach seating to 50%. All single travelers will have a window seat. The two of you will be allowed to sit together. Masks may still be required. Stowing baggage should be no problem with the reduced seating. You will be met at the door to your car by a uniformed Amtrak person who will guide you on where to put your luggage. Eat a good breakfast before getting on the train. There is a cafe car on your train but don't count on having food that you really want to eat. The train should be in Washington Union Station shortly before 2PM.
Last month I took my first Amtrak trip in 14.5 months. The good thing about your trip is that it is all in daylight.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

We checked the station out online. Apparently absolutely nobody there at 6:17 am. Our daughter is driving us to the station. Thanks everyone for your very helpful advice. Sounds like we will be just fine. We are both healthy and should have no trouble.