Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

AMERICAN-Removal of seats.Has it made a difference

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Carole

I haven't flown American since they announced they'd be removing seats from the back. For those of you that have (I'll be flying in an Airbus) - has it made any difference in leg room or comfort??

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Bob Brown

I haven't flow American per se, but I have ridden in the Airbus A320.
The seats were much more comfortable because of increased knee room than an Air France Boeing 777, which unfortunately, is just another cattle car with those fancy electronics not working.
On the Airbus flights, I was able to extend my legs fully, and I sit about 6' 2".

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Eva

Last time I flew American was to MIA. On the way down, the seats were so close I felt like I had the guy in front of me in my lap, even without him reclining. On the way back -- on one of those planes where they supposedly removed the seats -- it felt like I had a lot more room. However, I'm convinced its all an illusion which they created NOT by removing seats, but by ADDING seats to some of their older planes, so that the new ones feel roomier!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Laura

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm calling the airline right now to find out if my flights are the kind where they removed or ADDED the seats. LOL You've made an excellent point.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:06 AM
Al

That's silly. Besides, American has a posted schedule of which type of aircraft are scheduled to be converted and when. More: previously on MD-80s, I could only use my laptop if sitting at an exit row or at the bulkhead; I can now use it anywhere in coach--snug, but not impossible, as it was before the changes.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Jim

American could have all first-class seating and I wouldn't fly them. The airline is not very dependable and not very friendly, IMHO.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:48 PM
just

It does make a difference! My husband is about 6'5 and really liked it and even I at 5'6 appreciated the difference. The only thing that was abit unfortunate is that the reading lights don't exactly line up with the seats anymore (it's actually kind of funny).

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Tammy

what is the site where I can see the planes they will be removing seats from please? At aa.com I see nowhere where I could find it please.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:06 AM
lisa

My understanding is that it's not specific planes, it's their entire fleet, but it hasn't all been completed yet. By October they say the entire domestic fleet will be completed.

They are offering contests to "win" some of the old airline seats they've removed...

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Gary

Tammy (above):

American's web site used to have a graph indicating the progress of the conversion. Now they just say the entire domestic fleet will be done in October. As I recall, the entire fleet will be completed by March.

Anyway, if you traverse to the "Inflight Services & Features" page, then click "Cabin Comfort," you can read about it. Otherwise, there is a chart below the "Fleet Information" page indicating which type of aricraft are still being converted (it's 767s, 777s, and international Airbus 300s).

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Miriam

For the person who inquired. Sorry, but I don't know the difference between Seat Width and Pitch..maybe that's their way of saying "length"???
-------------

Seating Charts
Airbus 300-600 Domestic Luxury Liner
Airbus 300-600 International Luxury Liner

Characteristics

Number of Engines 2
Engine Type CF6-80C2A5
Engine Manufacturer G.E.
Engine Thrust Lbs 61,500
Cockpit Crew 2
Max Taxi Wt-Lbs 377,800
Max Takeoff Lbs 375,890
Max Landing Wt Lbs 308,600
Max Zero Fuel Wt Lbs 286,600
Max Fuel Capacity Lbs 120,600
Payload Range Miles
--Max Load (Space Limit)
--Full Pax (Pax + Bags Only)
Wingspan 147'1"
Length 177'5"
Height 54'3"
Belly Capacity Cu. Ft. 3,910
LD3 Container Pos 22
First Class
Seat Width 21" Int'l
19.5" Dom
First Class
Seat Pitch 62-64" Int'l
40" Dom
Business Class Seat Width 20.5"
Business Seat Seat Pitch 49-50"
Economy Class Seat Width 18"
Economy Class Seat Pitch 31-32"
Total Seats 267/266/192
Max Cruising Alt. FT. 42,000
Typical Cruising Speed 530
Year in Service 1988

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 09:17 PM
kam

Just flew yesterday on a 737 from Chicago to California and ,yes, it does make a difference. It's still not terribly comfortable, but the extra few inches combined with the headrests that cushion your head a bit and prevent lateral movement are great. Perhaps someone is listening to us atlast????? Now, if they could improve the food (although again AA is better than UA in that department) and get the rest rooms to flush for 4 hours, then we'd be in pretty good shape. The MD 80 remains a horrible plane IMO however. Thanks AA, it wasn't a half bad flight.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 10:41 PM
kristian

Carole, I don't fly American much, but I can tell you that you can tell on United, ESPECIALLY because they didn't upgrade the entire plane. It's a lot easier to tell the difference.

I think the space on United's "economy plus" section is the same space that American claims its done througout the planes. I usually get the "plus" seating on united and it's the difference between being able to cross your legs or not (fyi, I'm 5'5"). Also, if you're traveling with a friend, and that friend wants to go the lavatory, it's the difference between whether you have to get out of your seat to let her pass or not.

AND your dinner tray isn't pressed up against your boobs!

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 08:30 AM
Untidy

Kritian -- are you a silver, gold or platinum Freq. Flyer (or whatever is United's equiv.) or how do you manage to score the plus seats?

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:25 AM
kristian

Untidy, I do have status on United. (theirs is based on premier, premier executive, and 1K). I always make sure my travel agent gets me a seat in the plus section. If you have status, you can get a seat in the section regardless of fare price...it's just first come, first serve. You can always get a seat in the section without status if you pay a full price fare.