Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning a 2001 trip to NYC - NOT looking for parades - better time to go in September ?- thanks a lot!

Planning a 2001 trip to NYC - NOT looking for parades - better time to go in September ?- thanks a lot!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:49 AM
ph

I am a woman and going alone to NYC, and i would love to go in september because of the weather - i will be a lot of time out doors , walking. But i am SCARED of parades, after what happened in Central Park in June, this year. But i keep looking at the NYC calendar and it seems that in september there is always something going on - festivities etc ( I know, it is NYC - It is always something going on...). But do you think it is a problem for sightseeing? Or better wait till early october ? Help please!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 05:21 AM
howard

The incidents after a parade earlier this year were most unfortunate. But, fortunately, that was a anomaly. While I certainly understand your apprehension, don't overreact! Paradewise, September is a "safe" month in New York! And as far as your comment. "...it seems that is Septmeber there is always something going on...," well, ma'am, there is always something going on in New York! That's why you're coming here! Come and have a good, safe time!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:09 AM
livebyjfk

Hi ph:
September is a lovely time to visit. The weather is still nice, the crowds have thinned and NYC is a wonderful place to visit. Do not worry about parades, there is so much to see and do that the parade can be over before you know it. Stay and watch the parade if you want to. They can be very interesting. Dont't leave your common sense at home. Be mindful of your surroundings and keep your personal belongings close to you. You can enjoy yourself without being fearful. Have a great time!!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:30 AM
tweedy

Also the parades are usually on Sunday and go down 5th Ave or Madison Ave.

As an earlier post pointed out the incident was unusual and happened it is thought because Alcohol was consumed by too many partiers. The city has now stoped the sale of alcohol at parades.

The nice thing about the city is the festivals and they happen on the weekend though the fall and into November. If you want to see the schedule try www.sidewalk.com they have lots of info on the city and goings on.

I do hope you have a good time here. I am out and about all the time and generally feel comfortable, just be aware you are in a big city and use your instincts to guide you.

tweedy

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 12:04 PM
Caitlin

I am another woman living in NYC, and I echo the above posters: don't worry! September is a perffect time to visit, and if there are events (parades, etc.) that you don't want to be around, well, they are easy to avoid. Just go do some sightseeing in another part of town! And while it's true that there are many parades and events throughout the year, as Tweedy notes, they're almost always on Sundys, and many are in the outer boroughs. They do not, in any way, take over the city. Honestly, though, as was also noted, the aaasults this year were an anomaly, and you have nothing to fear.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 03:03 PM
xxx

FYI...sidewalk.com no longer exists. It merged with citysearch at least 6 months ago. Try www.newyork.citysearch.com or www.newyorktoday.com.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 03:14 PM
NEWYORKER

I am of the opinion that there are several parades in Manhattan that do indeed take over large parts of midtown, and are a nuisance, if not dangerous. Those parades are the St. Patricks Day Parade and the Puerto Rican Day Parade. As was stated previously, this is because of extreme alcohol consumption, as well as the general maturity level of the crowds. Luckily for ph, those parades do not occur in September. I would recommend that a tourist with only limited days in the City avoid being in town on those days, especially if their main interests are seeing the sights of midtown without the distractions of drunk and lewd rowdies crowding the streets.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 04:35 AM
ph

Thanks a lot for your attention and time! Love the answers! I think, after all, that i am going in september next year, after the first week of the month. Thanks one more time! (But if someone else has a different opinion or something to tell/share, please do!)