Amelia Island @ Thanksgiving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extended family planning a trip Thanksgiving week - 12 people total. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we're the only family with kids. Ages are 15,12,9,6. Any recommendations for accommodations,activites, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Will probably be staying at the Plantation or Ritz Carlton unless anyone has a better idea. What kind of weather should we expect? How's the beach? HELP!! Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:06 AM

We were there in May. The beaches are very nice...clean and wide. Make sure you take the children to the Fort on Amelia Island. It is fascinating to see and they usually have volunteers dressed as soldiers who will tell you stories about the Fort. That was an unexpected treat..Children will love it..and you can climb to the parapet and see out over the ocean. I have visited a lot of Forts over the years, but I will say, this one is the best I have ever seen. You might call ahead and see if you can have tour set up for your group. We saw groups together with soldiers.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:13 AM

We have family on Amelia and have visited occasionally at Thanksgiving. Weather is a little hard to predict; some years, we've been able to swim at Thanksgiving, and other years have been cooler. Was there at Christmas a few years ago and it was below freezing.

I really like the beach there. It's nice and wide and never all that crowded. Kids have fun on the beach even if it's too cold to go in the water.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:22 AM

Here's a photo of the beach. The Ritz is in the distance with a blue roof.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...11652962GqIaww
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the photo link. Anybody know what those buildings are to the left of the Ritz? While a hotel may better suit the older crowd, I'm more inclined to look at condos for ease at snack time/down time/etc.

Also, any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated - from family-friendly to upscale-but-not-TOO-snooty.

And what about the horseback riding on the beach?

Hate to overwhelm with my questions but we're really starting from scratch on this one.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM

You might check with Elizabeth Pointe Inn. They have "lighthouse" apts for rent. I don't know how many one sleeps, but passed them on the way to Elizabeth Pointe Inn. They have a web page...google Amelia Island and you will find the site for Elizabeth Pointe Inn. I don't think you can ride horseback on the beach there. The historic area has a lot of inexpensive type restaurants..and there is one under the bridge on the way to Amelia Island that is great for families.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM

As a mom, I would agree with you on the condo issue. With four children I think you would most definitely be more comfortable in a condo. And there is the added benefit of being able to eat some meals there. It has been a few years since I have stayed at the Plantation but I do recall the condos being quite nice.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:30 PM

The buildings to the left are condos. There are several large developments in the area called Summer Beach with ocean facing condos. Since we stay with relatives, I've never been in any of them, but there are plenty. Try doing a google search for 'summer beach' rentals.

There is a stable through which you can book horseback riding, but IIRC, the kids need to be of a certain age. Ours was 11 last Thanksgiving, and I think that was borderline. We didn't end up going.

On the very family friendly side, I always go to Moon River Pizza when there. Kind of a dive, but very good.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Since we now have children as well we typically opt for beach houses. It will be cheaper & more pacious than the accommodations you have mentioned. We have always had great luck w/ERA Realty but check out your options on Ameliaisland.org or.com. The water may still be warm enough to swim in, for the adults visit Don & Cindy at the Healing Dome for massages. Evening/sunset cruises should also entertain the children. Jacksonville & St. Augustine are both a short drive away. If you travel down A1A there are also two sizable Parks as well as an old Plantation (the name escapes me at present).
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Restaurants - Brett's is good, particularly for lunch. Center Street & Beech Street Grill for more upscale/fine dinig although both are very family friendly. The Crab Trap for good old hole-in-the-middle-of-the- table crab legs & such (family operated as well). The Florida House for family style/shared dining, very good for the money as well.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

We stayed at the Beach and Racquet Club (I think that's the name, something like that) which is privately owned condos that owners rent out. It was on the side of the island just down from the Ritz on the beach. Our condo was extremely nice, well furnished and with everything we could want, including a washer and dryer. Condos are one to three bedrooms as I remember. I loved sitting on the balcony in the afternoon overlooking the beach, reading.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM

No, it is called "Amelia Surf and Racquet Club." Check the reviews on tripadvisor.