Am I Weird, or what???

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Tricia

Am I Weird, or what???

Here it is February (pretty dreary where I live).
My 2 week vacation for June is planned~flights, hotel, fun tuff~reservations made (thank you fellow Fodorites for your help).
Now I'm already thinking about my next destination!
When will my "next" vacation be? Where will I go? Is this an obsession, or what? Other people I associate with (including my family) are not like this!
Is there help for me out there???

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Rowan

I have the same problem. Once the bug bites there is no cure, keep traveling...

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Happiness is having a ticket in your drawer at all times -- or better yet, having a few stacked there!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 04:28 AM

I don't know if weird is the best word for it...but it probably lies some where on the left side of the bell curve. I have the same "problem". I have a trip scheduled for the end of March - cruise from St. Thomas to Lisbon, and short stay in Portugal, and I am already thinking of where to go for possible vacation in November. Am thinking of Nicaragua or Honduras or Saba in the Carib. Any ideas out there?

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 04:57 AM
kate

Tricia-If that is weird, we should all be happy to be weird There are many people in the "weird club" I think.And although I don't actually have the tickets in my drawer, we are planning multiple holidays too...gets you through the day!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Laura

Some days it's the only thing that keeps me in a good mood!
Unfortunately, I've passed this "weirdness" on to my 9 years old son, who's been more places than alot of adults, and always wants to know where we are going next!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:27 AM
mom

Laura, that is soo great! I love to hear that parents pass the travel bug along, more adventurous little people are a good thing! I too, have a couple of travelin young'uns One just back from London,planning to go to Germany,the other has seen just about every country in Western Europe and all of the states in the US..now living in Asia..I just think it might be time for them to take me with them next!sort of parental payback? :0)

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Lenore

I am also afflicted. I once told a friend that if I don't have a vacation in the works, there is just no reason to go on living! We are about to put to bed our 10 night trip to Hawaii for April, but are already discussing an end of summer vacation. Then we always do something around the holidays too. Sure hope I don't get laid off!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Tricia

Thank heaven I'm not alone!
I have one son who still has souvenirs on display in his room from when he was 3 years old! He's become such a "collector". My son's rooms are filled with stuff they have acquired over the years from our travels. Our last day of vacation is always spent with Matthew finding that one special something that he can keep forever.
I hope I pass on some of this "wander lust" to them!
Now, where to go for a quick trip (just me & hubby this time)in November.....

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Traveller

I wonder if there is a TA group around, similiar to AA; I like to plan the next trip right after all the flights and hotels are set for the previous one-SICK??

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Sandi

And I thought I was the only one .... surprise, surprise! Tricia, I can totally relate to you, and everyone else here. I currently have three trips in the works for this current year. Leaving for Rome in three weeks and planning two extended weekend trips. Montreal in late April and Chicago over Labor Day Weekend.

For the Rome trip, everything has been planned for two months now and I feel like I'm just sitting idle now. I've read all the travel guides I can possibly find at my library, have my itinerary planned for every day I'll be there. The planning stage is so much fun to me, and I can't help but think of what's next even before I've gone on the most recently planned trip.

Sickness it may be, but at least some other people out there understand the affliction.

Sandi

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:35 AM
nina

Tell me about it. My husband thinks my whole family and I are certifiable because we're all like this! I've got 3 vacations planned, for March, July and end of August, and I'm already getting antsy trying to see if I could squeeze another vacation in the very week the kids get out of school in June and be back before the July trip.

My sister and I have part time jobs and guess what every penny goes to? Right, travel. As she says, there's no point in working if you can't go somewhere!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:39 AM
jan

Join the club-right now I have a trip planned to Kauai in March; Maritimes in August; currently planning an Australian trip next Dec.; and believe it or not-thinking about Tucson for Mar. 2003!! The planning is almost better than the actual trip!!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:40 AM
joan

Count me in. And here's my dirty little secret: I plan our annual family reunions. And since it's "so much work" I always get assigned the master bedroom with the jacuzzi...I swear I try to protest, but what can you do?

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Nicole

I'm so relieved that there are others like me. We hadn't even left for our trip last December to Mexico before I had planned and bought the trip we're taking in March to Brazil! And of course, as soon as we got back from Mexico, I had started planning our September trip. (Booked it already). My fiance thinks I'm crazy due to the sad fact that many of our friends think a vacation is a luxury, not a necessity. I would not be able to will myself out of bed to go to work if I didn't know that I was working towards a trip. I agree that the planning is nearly as much fun as the actual trip!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:21 AM
pj

I love this thread!!! I am a frugal traveler, therefore it is a necessity for me to travel not luxury!! Went to Ireland in Nov. Just got back from snowboarding in Austria, got my ticket in the drawer for Paris in March!!! I guess I am not alone in this sickness!!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Donna

I get very depressed when I return from a trip and the only cure is to book another right away, I took 5 trips last year and believe it or not I'm finally sick of traveling I'm going to take a break for a while that I'm really looking forward to.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Don

Count me in. I like nothing better than browsing through travel info, dreaming of where to go next. The travel itself is almost an afterthought.

I once called the division of travel and tourism in all 50 states, most of the Canadian provinces, and several U.S. reps for maybe 15 European countries and ordered their standard travel info packages. My mailman hated me.

But my coworkers loved me--any time they had a travel question on this state or that country, they knew I'd have the information. And this was years ago, before the Internet got popular--so good, up-to-date info on destinations was harder to come by then.

Oh, to have more than three weeks of paid vacation a year. At least I have my subscriptions to Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel, Conde Nast Traveler, Travel and Leisure, etc. to keep my mind wandering when I can't physically get away.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:01 PM
MeToo

Another addict reporting in! But my feeling is, if someone suddenly says, "Let's get away for ________ " I want to be prepared! And as the above poster said, our friends and coworkers really reap some benefits from our obsession!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:23 AM
tttttttttt

ttttttttttttt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -