Reload this Page >

Am I planning too much for NYC trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Gail

My husband and I are going to NYC for four days/three nights in October. It is the first time we are getting away ALONE in over a year since having a baby, so this is a well-needed vacation for us. Anyway, for all you expert NYC Fodorites, am I planning too much???....

Staying at Casablanca Hotel ($235/night -- is this reasonable?)

Arriving Wednesday morning, planning to have lunch and either catch a Broadway matinee or just relax. Wednesday night, go out for our first dinner alone in God knows how long...any suggestions?

Thursday -- go to Museum of Natural History and walk around area. At night, have tickets for The Lion King.

Friday -- go to Chinatown and Little Italy, then have tickets at night for Rent.

Saturday -- go to The Cloisters and leaving around 7:00 p.m.

Please help me out with this. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. We've already seen the Empire State Building, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and most of the museums. I am now trying to see (aside from the AMNH) all of the "other" parts of NYC.

P.S. -- Does anyone know how the restaurants are at the Plaza? My friend is a chef there but I don't want to ask him since his answer will be, of course, GREAT....I want a truthful opinion...
Also, money is of no concern with this trip. We've been saving and it will be worth every penny!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:22 AM
apc

Hi Gail,

I just came back from a trip NYC with my husband a week and a half ago.

Your itinerary looks good, and I think planning is essential, not to fill up every minute of your day, but to make the most efficient use of your limited time.

Wednesday sounds good, getting adjusted and relaxing and doing anything that pops up.

On Thursday, not sure if you've heard, but the planetarium show at the museum is AWESOME (one of the highlights of my trip). It's a fairly new addition to the museum. Since the Museum is adjacent to Central Park, it might be nice to check out parts of the park that you haven't seen before. Or maybe even rent bikes for exploring.

As for Friday, have you thought about maybe strolling through SoHo and Gramercy Park/Union Square area? From what I hear, Little Italy is pretty "little" and you'll probably have plenty of time to do some other great NY neighborhoods. PS: If you like Thai and happen to be in SoHo, maybe grab an early dinner at Kin Khao, an excellent Thai food restaurant right on Spring St. Or for a more romantic meal, maybe go to Balthazaar's in SoHo.

JUST A NOTE: Not sure if you've done this before, but on my last trip, I went to the NY Public Library and was really impressed with the building. It was as beuatiful as a museum. They even have unique exhibits there. The other place that I got to know a little better on this trip was Grand Central Station. Since our hotel was so close, we got to spend some time checking it out. It also is a beautiful place if you get the chance and haven't done so before.a

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Wyn

Your itinerary looks mostly good. The only recommendation I have have is to alter your day on Friday. You'll definitely want to skip Chinatown and you can do Little Italy in about 30 minutes. Instead, I would head a few blocks west and hit SoHo (great shopping, art galleries, lots or corner cafes) and Greenwich Village.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:35 AM
x

Why would they definitely want to skip Chinatown?

I say, go to Chinatown, have a Dim Sum lunch (Golden Unicorn or HSF) and then go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory and/or Ten Ren Tea Co.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:21 PM
lucy

Hey apc, did you stay at the Grand Hyatt by any chance? Is this a good location to be in? If so, tell me more, please! Thanks, lucy

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:44 PM
rqf

Seems like a good price for the Casablance. On Wednesday check the Tkts booth for discount matinee tickets. Booth is five minute walk from the hotel.
If you want to see the space show at Natural History purchase tickets as soon as you get to the museum. Start in Chinatown and walk to and through LIttle Italy and then Soho. If not too tired continue to Greenwich Village. Train from Cloisters to hotel is going to take close to an hour. Chances of getting a taxi at the Cloisters are not very good.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:08 AM
apc

No, we stayed at the Library Hotel at the corner of Madison and 41st. Grand Central was on 42nd, right behind us.And the Public Library was about a block to the right of us.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Linda

Lucy - Grand Hyatt is in an excellent location. Right next to Grand Central, subway, buses, and airport shuttle stops. Easy walking distance to Times Square, broadway shows, Fifth and Madison Avenues, and the UN (other direction). Plenty of places to eat (upscale to fast food to deli) and shopping in the area. For whatever isn't within walking distance (museums, central park, greenwich village, etc.) you can take a nearby bus or subway.
Enjoy your visit!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:06 PM
GOL

Great plan.

We like to be on the water when we want a romantic time. Especially in the evening. Not Circle Line, of course, but some others. If the night is clear and not too cold, try to hire north of Battery park. A couple of hours is all you need. Although seasonal, some will serve gourmet dinner, wine, etc..

Simple, but how about walking around the zoo? The shows are great, but not 'alone' time to talk. Central Park zoo is doable from AMNH.

Rent a bike along the west side and ride along the paths.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take your cell phone with you. Pretend it is 15 years ago. Hold back the urge to call Grandma or whomever to check up on Junior. Actually PLAN the check in calls. You don't want a call at 10pm saying your baby can't get to sleep. That is your problem all other times, but not this time. Force yourself.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Rachel

Hi Gail,

I lived in Manhattan for three years have shown so many people around it is scary. If anything I'd say your itinerary seems light but that also depends on what your mode is going to be for the weekend (relax vs. whirlwind).

A couple of suggestions that come to mind would be...

Wednesday afternoon if you don't catch that matinee start at the Plaza Hotel and walk down Fifth Avenue. You get a real feel for NY during the week on 5th Ave. Even if you aren't planning on shopping much its still fun to walk down to Rockefeller Center on 47th. Maybe make reservations somewhere like the Russian Tea Room or Le Cirque for a special dinner.

Thursday when you go the the Museum of Natural History you might want to try breakfast or lunch at Sarabeth's on 80th and Amsterdam. You could either walk down Broadway, walk through Central Park, or cross over to the East Side and walk down Madison Avenue (all the fancy shmancy shops including Barney's). Enjoy the Lion King. Its a great show.

Friday I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time in Chinatown. Grab lunch there and head to the South Street Seaport. Jump on the Beast (boat ride) and it will take you around the tip of Manhattan.

Enjoy your time in the city!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:27 AM
nancy

Also vote for Soho and Greenwich Village over Chinatown and Little Italy, but that's a personnel preference. Try lunch/dinner at the Gramercy Tavern if you're in the area - great food, nice atmosphere. Itinerary sounds reasonable. Love the Cloisters, but you probably won't get a cab back. Also, no where to eat on site.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:32 PM
harry

I think you are not doing enough. Also, since money is no object, I would have dinner at Jean-George ( near Central Park) and also at Nobu in Tribeca, which is not far from Chinatown.