Search

Altitude sickness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altitude sickness

From what I've read on other threads, to avoid altitude sickness, we need to drink lots of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol. We're from the coastal area of NC and will flying into Denver and staying in Boulder the first night. We don't have any activites planned for the day we arrive. Is there anything else we need to be aware of so we can avoid not feeling well?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Don't forget to eat - we all felt better with something on our stomachs.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Just don't push yourself the first few days. Take a nap if you need to, and breath deeply if you feel a little lightheaded. That always works for me.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM

You shouldn't have too much problem with that. But do drink a LOT of water.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:11 AM

I think most problems result from folks going right up to ski areas and hitting the slopes AND drinking, or hiking in the sunny mountains and not drinking enough (dry air is deceptive). You aren't in Tibet--enjoy your morning coffee and your wine with dinner, just don't run out and hit mountain biking or hiking too hard! (Hydrate, but don't go crazy--[way]too much in the way of fluids can also be harmful.)
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

I guess I'm just a little paranoid. This is our "big" family vacation of the year and I would hate to spend it being sick. Thank you for the reinforcement.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM

I think your plan of avoiding alcohol and caffeine for the first few days and staying hydrated is an excellent one.

We also take one aspirin every mrning and every evening to thin the blood a bit and improve oxygenation.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM

The only place I've ever experienced altitude sickness was in Santa Fe. I've hiked the Swiss Alps; I've hiked Mt. Ranier, etc., etc., but only Santa Fe did it to me. I have no idea why.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I FELT the altitude when we vacationed in Colorado, but it did not diminish the FUN!! I noticed a slight headache and a little difficulty sleeping, but nothing major. We have traveled in Montana quite a bit and I never felt it, but did in Colorado. I think the aspirin suggestion is a good one. Have a great time!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Again, enjoy your joe and vino and the great Boulder restaurants! We've had people of all ages visit us over the decades (CA and NY coasts) and never had anyone get ill (or even woozy)--and that includes my 85 yr old mother in law, who until last year golfed (walked 9 holes)with us!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:47 AM

jnine: my experience has been most are not bothered by altitude in Boulder - and missypie isn't that weird b/c Santa Fe was the only place two of my family members had difficulty when we went up Mt. Sandia....strange, they'd been to higher places too!!

Jnine: we did what you said, took it easy first day to adjust, lots of water, good nights sleep,, everything everyone else has said and if you get bothered by a headache, take it easy for a bit but if it doesn't go away, there are altitude pills and a local Dr. can help a family member out with that, - friends who traveled with us had to go that route once and now travels with the pills when he knows he will be in high altitudes.

My daughter was 14 the first trip and did have a bit of a time for 2 dys before she adjusted, but then she was fine. We just kept pumping her with water and light food - she just couldn't shake the bit of 'light headedness' for almost 48 hrs, but don't worry - and have a great time !
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Agree with the other useful tips presented by posters. We never had a problem going to Denver, or Estes Park from sea level Milwaukee. However, I did have the start of high altitude pulmonary edema, which is NOT the same as altitude sickness, when walking a tundra trail in Rocky Mountain National Park the first day we were in Colorado. That was at about 12,000 ft. I developed a persistent dry cough and shortness of breath. I recognized the symptoms and had my spouse drive back to Estes Park right away, which is several thousand feet lower. The symptoms resolved. Altitude sickness can make you uncomfortable, but HAPE can kill you. If you experience similar symptoms at anytime while at high elevations, get to lower altitude immediately and get to an ER if symptoms don't resolve right away.

Have a great trip at this most beautiful spot on earth!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Tess

Are you going to mountains from Boulder. Boulder itself shouldn't cause you many problems plus it sounds like you're very aware of ways to avoid altitude sickness.

Avoiding alcohol and drinking tons of water is the best thing. We live at 3300 feet above sea level and I had a horrible bout of altitude sickness in Vail one summer

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I've had a couple of bouts with altitude sickness so on a recent trip to Santa Fe I followed those things you mentioned. I drank LOTS of water. I started with the water while flying there and just kept on drinking. I also avoided alcohol and only had a little coffee in the morning.

I had no problems out all. In a previous trip to Park City. The 3rd night I was sick as a dog for about 3 hours, but then it passed and I seemed ok. I did not want to take any chances this time around so I followed the given advice and it worked! We had a great time in Santa Fe.

On the other hand, my husband and 2 kids never had any problems any where, but it can't hurt to take precautions.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM

This may not apply to you, but one more major thing to consider -- if you're a smoker, you may want to cut back as much as possible during the trip. With so little oxygen to start with, smoking can knock you for a loop if you're not used to the altitude.

Also, Denver is a little over 5000 feet -- the air is actually better than on a plane, which is usually pressurized to 8000 feet. (Santa Fe is around 7000 feet.) Plan strenous activities for the second or third day you're there, so you're more used to the air...and bring some Advil just in case!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Much good advice has already been offered. I will only add that people who are ill (especially cold- type symptoms) when they arrive at altitude, tend to get worse and develop altitude sickness. If your symptoms persist and worsen, see a doctor. With medication and possibly oxygen, you will feel SO much better.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:35 AM

As someone else said, Santa Fe is pretty high--7500ft. It 's on a plateau so it surprises you.