Reload this Page >

Altitude and aneurysms

Search

Altitude and aneurysms

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:18 AM
linsou

Altitude and aneurysms

Does high altitude have any adverse effect on aneurysms? I have low to normal blood pressure. I have recently been told I have a small abdominal aneurysm. Any caveats for travel at high altitudes?

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM
Neopolitan

At the risk of sounding obvious, you do have a doctor, don't you? It seems to me that asking a group of strangers on the internet for such important medical advice is a very odd thing to do, even though there are some doctors here. You need to consult a professional, not rely on the usual, "I have one too and I've never had a problem" type answers.

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:34 AM
Neopolitan

Actually what I wanted to conclude with was "the only thing worse than asking for medical advice on the internet is giving medical advice on the internet."

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have or think you have a medical problem you need to seek medical advice from a competent source, ask your Dr...That would be the best travel advice.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM

If you keep a happy attitude it might effect your pressure - you will not have an aneurysm as easily.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM
GoTravel

I thought aneurysms were only in the brain?

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM

Not so, GoTravel. An aneurysm can oocur at any point along an artery or major vein. Aortic aneurysms (close to the heart) are fairly common. I also echo the previous advice that getting medical advice on a forum such as this is not well advised (pun intended).
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:42 AM

Not only is Fodors a travel related forum, but we're now dispensing medical advice as well! Ooooooh!!! Got to love Fodors Forums.

At the risk of being repetitive, go speak with your doctor "linsou". Why would you seek medical advice from travel expert wannabes?
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM

I have little actual knowledge about aneurysms except that I have known two people that had them. One ruptured suddenly in the brain and needed immediate attention. The other, somewhere near a kidney, broke when he was involved in a slight auto accident. It seems to me that traveling, where you might be far away from a GOOD medical facility might be a dumb thing to do.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM

C A L L Y O U R D O C T O R ! !
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM

Fodors also has a long and distinguished history of dispensing parental advice as well.

Old May 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM

oh altitude! I read attitude!
Sorry.

Wear a girdle to hold it in!
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM
GoTravel

I'd rather wear a gridle.

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM

Some people here need a muzzle.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM

Of course call you doctor. I will tell you this. We came back from almost a month in Arizona and I did notice shortness of breath and some lightheadedness. I assumed it was due to altitude as well as past heart valve repair.

However, three weeks ago I had a pacemaker implanted due to unsuspected low blood pressure (was at 31 and now set at 70). So I think part of my problem out West was the heart not functioning at full capacity.

ozarksbill
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM

Agree--of course, call your MD.

However, here's one bit of slightly related advice that everyhone should know--make sure on a long fight to walk around from time to time-- every 60" at least-- (contrary to the overhead announcement advice now to stay in your seat as much as possible) or exercise your legs while sitting--circle ankles, etc. ( LOL, some funny images pop up) It will help prevent blood clots (DVTs) from forming in your legs. They can travel within the body and lodge and cause stroke heart attack.
This advice was given to me by MD (neurosurgeon) prior to long flight. It is also routinely in the AA (and perhaps other) flight magazines.
Happy travels AND good health to all!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM

It is one thing to ask/give advice about taking Benadryl on a flight, it is another to give/get advice about abdominal aortic aneurysm (also known as AAA), which, as I am assuming you know, if it blows will likely kill you in a matter of minutes. I will usually mouth off about anything health related, but even I am not going to take this one on.
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM

My father in law was diagnosed with this while visiting in San Antonio. (low altitude) What felt like bad indigestion turned into a helicoptor flight to Houston for emergency surgery. I belive this same condition is what killed John Ridder unexpectedly.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM

Do you put the griddle on your head or do you lie down and put in on your tummy?
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM

ttt for linsou

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -