Altis Air Force Base

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Chris

Altis Air Force Base

Can the Altis Oklaho Air Force be visited? Do they have guided tours or anything to see?
Thanks

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:37 AM
sister

I doubt it. My husband works for the FAA and I can't even see him for lunch, nor can be bring visitors to his workplace, like he used to.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:38 AM
James

Chris,
I took a tour of Altus AFB a few years back - I would assume that they still do that. There is a large airshow coming up.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

As a USA retiree, I visit various military installations every couple of weeks. Security has been tighten since 9/11. Some require military ID to enter. I know that the tours of NORAD and US Naval Academy were available a few weeks ago but they are tourist"y" destinations.
I have not seen any airshows at military installations around my state (TX).
If you don't have business at a working installation, why are wanting to tour it? Boy Scout group? School class?
In those cases, exceptions might be made.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Peep

Call me crazy, but after September 11th, I don't think ANY air force base should have tours - even to boy scouts.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:30 AM
xxx

Some installations have museums.
The US military have a PR department.
They want people, especially potential recruits to visit.
I don't disagree. It's good when people see the military as more than whatthey see on CNN.
They are very cautious about who gets in and what they see. As a retiree, MY car gets checked every time I go in.
Sometimes I am required to get a pass, which means I am asked specific questions about the reason I want in.
They are not going to let any one even remotely suspicious in.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM
George

We went to an airshow at Dover (DE) AFB at Memorial Day. You were parked in a grass field a couple of miles from the base. Then you went through a screening-gate, free-standing, that was located in the field. No sharp instruments, etc. Also, nothing like tote bags, coolers, cameras in pouches, bottles/beverages, etc. Just like going through an airport gate. After getting through security, you boarded a shuttle bus to get to the base for the show/open house.

And Altus is the base name.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Bob

If I'm not mistaken, The Memphis Belle was parked at Altus with a lot of other B29s after the war and was saved just before it was suppose go to the scrap heap.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Usama

Does anyone REALLY know if tours are offered here or not!? Please, someone with authority please answer this question and post the details. What is required to get on base? Are there metal detectors, dogs, etc?

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Me

By the way, it was me that posted the UBL message above, and, it was in jest. Just wanted to get on the record here in case big bro is watching this and actually thought that it was even remotely serious! It isn't.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Flip open your phone book and find the area code that the base is located in. Call directory assistance and ask for the number of the Public Affairs office for Altus AFB. Call during normal business hours and get the information and procedures directly from the source.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
James

You might try AFB's website:

http://www.altus.af.mil/

there is a link to the upcoming airshow and contact information.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Floyd

Does anyone know the history of Altus Air Force base? What part did it play in WWII?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:11 AM
James

Altus started as a pilot training for WWII. Check out this link for a nice history:
http://www.altus.af.mil/Main/patriot...ept02.htm#bday