Alternatives to Universal/Disney in Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughters(age 18 & 23) and I will be coming to Orlando next March. We weren't planning on renting a car since the hotel offers shuttle service to the things that we had planned (Universal & Sea World). We will have 1 day with nothing planned and wondered if there was another day trip that would be relatively inexpensive that we could look into.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM

jaybee, what are your interests? Would you be relying on public transportation on that day?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
GoTravel

jaybee, so often for a couple dollars more you can get a multi day or two day pass to Universal and Islands of Adventure.

I would spend the extra day there.

BTW, Kracken, at Sea World is my favorite roller coaster in the Orlando area. Hulk and IOA is my second and Spiderman at IOA is the very best 3D thrill ride on the planet!

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM
mrt

Go Travel is correct. Get a two day pass for Universal. If you are not going to the parks or waterparks the only thing of interest is seeing Blue Man Group or Cirque. You can rent a car and drive to Cape Kennedy or to Daytona beach which is about 1 1.5 hours away +/-.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM

The second day at Universal/Islands of Adventure sounds like a great idea.

However, if you want another day trip, here are some options with all transportation provided:

Gator Tours <http://www.gatortours.com>

If you were to rent a car for a single day, you could visit Cocoa Beach AND take an airboat ride at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp <http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/>.

Directions couldn't be easier. Just drive east on State Road 528 (the Beachline) toward Brevard County and the beaches. Then get on SR 520 and at the St. John's River, you will find the Lone Cabbage Fish camp on the right side of the road. After your ride, continue on 520 due east to the ocean where you will find Cocoa Beach. An added (free) attraction is Ron Jon's Surf Shop, perhaps the world's largest purveyor of everything for the beach. It's interesting just to browse there.