Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

alternate route on I-94 between Albion and Jackson, Michigan???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and i are flying into Detroit tomorrow and heading west on I-94 to Kalamazoo. She was just told that the Michigan DOT has restricted westbound travel between Albion and Jackson to one lane for a 10 mile stretch...creating huge delays on NON_HOLIDAY DAYS...much less the 4th of July weekend. I am not familiar with the area and am looking for a way around. any suggestions?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM

M-DOT is reopening lanes in a lot of constructions zones for the holiday weekend. The bad news is that is not the case here. We're also driving through to Chicago, so an alternate route is a good thing to find!

Here's a map of where the construction zone is:

http://www.michigan.gov/images/MDOT_...0_126495_7.jpg

I have not yet found a good alternate, but if I do I'll post it.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

great info and thanks. i am still searching...i hope not to see you stuck in miles of stalled traffic!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

I live about 20 miles south of Jackson and just returned from WI last night. There were no traffic problems. Most of the bad traffic will be heading North on 127 or 96 to get to everyone's cabins up north.

The stretch of 94 that is between Jackson & K'zoo shouldn't be much trouble - unfortunately, without knowing the backroads you'll have to ride it out.

What time will you be landing into DTW?

I hope your traveling Delta or NW so you don't have to experience the "beirut" airport......the old terminal at DTW is terrible!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

From what i can tell, there is about 6 miles of construction between Mile 23 and Mile 29 with all eastbound traffic being diverted to one lane on the westbound side. I am thinking about getting off at the Parma exit and heading north to Deveraux road and then heading west until I can catch back up to I-94 past the construction...somewhere around Mile 22 or just further west. How does this strategy sound? We are flying Delta.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:27 PM

I still don't have a good answer but will be talking to people tonight who might know more.

But, I did want to let you know that the mile roads on that map are not the mile markers on the freeway. You'll be somewhere closer to around mile marker 100, I think. Just so as to not confuse you when you get there.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. we will be out early in the morning. good luck and have a great trip.