Allergy Friendly Restaurants in NYC

Oct 28th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Allergy Friendly Restaurants in NYC

Hello All, I知 prepping for an upcoming trip to NYC. I知 travelling with my ten year old son who suffers from anaphylaxis. I知 trying to find allergy friendly restaurants - specifically for egg, nut and fish allergies.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David.
Oct 28th, 2019, 02:12 PM

I would guess you wouldn't go to a seafood restaurant. Then when choosing a restaurant, sit down and make it clear to the server that you have severe allergies and need to have attention paid to it. I would think any restaurant wants to do that much like the attention paid to gluten free now.
The egg and peanut allergy would seem to be fairly easily avoided anywhere by careful menu choices.
Oct 28th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gretchen, I appreciate the comment.
Oct 28th, 2019, 04:31 PM
J62

No specific recommendations, but we do have experience traveling & avoiding certain foods. In our case it is "only" sensitivity and not anaphylaxis.

Some things we've learned over the years.

- know what types of restaurants are generally ok and those that have a higher risk for you. For example, we know that vietnamese pho, no matter where we get it tends to be a very safe since it starts with a clean, simple base and we can see all the added ingredients. Complex dishes like chinese/stir fri, we never know and avoid if needed.

- when you talk to the server, don't just ask easy to answer yes/no questions, but ask more open ended. I recall years ago asking someone if there was any gluten in the dish and the simple answer was no.... as in "we don't take a jar of gluten and scoop it in" as opposed to "tell me what the ingredients are and I'll do my own checklist"

For you fish is likely easiest to avoid. Egg and nut may be harder. There may not be any added /visible egg in a dish, but it may be an underlying ingredient, including in any -----aise sauce. Ditto for nuts. Often hide in salads, in pb added to sauces, or other places.

- look at doing take-out from salad bars at places like Whole Foods. That way you can see what you're taking. We'll often do supermarket takeout bar dinners when traveling just for the simplicity.
Oct 28th, 2019, 06:09 PM

Many restaurants have a contact link if you have specific allergies. Use it.
Oct 29th, 2019, 01:50 PM

This is a hard question to answer as I really think it depends on where you will be in NYC. If you are in midtown, are you going to go the Village just for lunch?
We like 5 napkin burgers, and Rosa Mexicano. I suggest the apps Allergy Eats and the facebook group traveling with food allergies.

We are gf, df and then peanut, tree nut and shellfish.

Eggs are so hard for breakfast. Even though my son has outgrown his egg allergy, we still tend to stick with just bacon for breakfast. Good luck!
Nov 2nd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments guys - much appreciated. We’re staying in midtown but are happy to travel for food. I’ve been checking out the allergy eats site - it’s great! Have found a lot of suggestions that I think will work well for us. Will report back on allergy eats on our experience.
Nov 26th, 2019, 05:01 AM

Everytime I eat in a decent restaurant in NYC (about once a week, maybe twice), one of the first things the server asks is about allergies or intolerances to any foods. I would think just about anyplace could accommodate you. Even fish places almost always have non-fish options on the menu.
Nov 30th, 2019, 10:20 PM

EK, you know New York better than many here. I can't really agree with your post this time though. I have lived with lifethreatening food allergy my whole life. First, a fish restaurant is not a good idea. Incidental exposure from a serving spoon or a shared grill between a hamburger and a fish item, are all possible points of exposure.

For sure, the server asking the table is a good sign. Some servers do it as a rote-checklist item. They don't seem interested in helping me out when I actually say "why,yes."

Other servers really get it. They discuss what issues I might have, they suggest alternative dishes that might be a safer option when there is any question. They ask the cooking staff to plate my meal separately away from certain ingredients. And they are willing to have a conversation about any and all of this. I think that is what the original poster is looking for.

But one note: Avoid Five Guys, a national chain (but not every state has them). The fries are fried in peanut oil and the whole place smells like peanuts according to my husband.
Dec 1st, 2019, 05:36 AM

You are right..I should not have commented because I only hear w hat the servers ask and do not know about the conditions of the kitchens where the foods are prepared. Sorry!!