Reload this Page >

Travel with Allergy Shringes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:33 AM
Sharon Pierce

I am traveling to London and France for two weeks. This is the first time I have taken a two week vacation anywhere and I will need to give myself an allergy shot while on vacation. Does anyone know if it is okay to transport the serum and shringe to the UK or France? Do I need to get a written prescription to take with me or anything else? Any websites that might address the question? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the information. This is a great website. <BR>Sharon Pierce <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:59 AM
Kimberley

Hi Sharon. Unless syringes are handled differently than narcotics, I can answer this one for you. (I am prescribed Percoset for migraines, which is considered to be a controlled substance/narcotic). I was informed that it is necessary to have a written prescription or letter from my doctor explaining that the drug is medically required by me and why. Had customs hassled me for carrying the drugs, this would have been sufficient evidence that I wasn't conducting shady business (I assume it also helped that I wasn't transporting a massive quantity). Anyway, although it helped me breathe easier, nobody ever asked to see the letter, or even seemed interested in the drug (I entered France, Monaco, Italy, and Switzerland). I guess it is pretty obvious that people need to travel wih their prescriptions, so as long as what you're carrying looks like a legitimate prescription they're not very likely to give you a hard time. Just have the letter to be on the safe side. Kimberley

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:29 AM
Bob Brown

I think any time someone is travelling with syringes, a letter from a physician is a good precaution. The letter should state the condition and describe the drug and the means of delivery. <BR> <BR>Chances are you will not be questioned. In numerous border crossings I have only had my luggage searched once. That was in Switzerland. The customs men were obviously looking for larger game, however, because little, but illegal, items were ignored. I don't know what the officers would have done had a packet of syringes dropped out. <BR> <BR>But why take a chance? Take along a letter signed by your physician. A second good reason for having the letter is in case you and your allergy formulations get separated. A British or French physician could probably help you find a replacement. By the way, most allergy serums are refrigerated. I assume yours are not. <BR> <BR>I asked a friend of mine who works in a health facility this same question. Having travelled internationally herself, she said that, if in a similar position, she would get a letter from her doctor, just in case. My friend is going to check with the nurse who runs the travel and alergy clinic and find out what her opinion is. I will get back with you if there is any major development. <BR> <BR>I don't take injections, but when I travel I look like a small pharmacy. <BR>So I asked my physician for a short letter describing my various capsules and tablets. Hopefully the letter will suffice. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:49 AM
Beth

You can check the US Government website, travel.state.gov. They have lots of useful information about travelling abroad. If you look at the "Know before you go" section, I'm pretty sure it says that when travelling with any kind of restricted drugs you should have a copy of the prescription and a letter from your doctor.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 03:02 PM
kam

ALWAYS have a prescription and letter from your M.D. when taking any prescription drug abroad. They can get very crazy about stuff like this. Many large medical clinics have a travel advice nurse who can give you all kinds of advice about Rx's and immunizations etc.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 06:32 AM
Sharon Pierce

Thanks for all the responses. I finally talked with my allergist and she suggested I take another allergy shot a day before I leave the U.S. (in case of a reaction) and then a shot the day I get back, so I don't have to mess with it on vacation. The serum is refrigerated but it doesn't hurt it to be unrefrigerated for a little while, although we didn't discuss whether 15 days is too long without refrigeration. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for the information. <BR> <BR>Sharon Pierce