Allentown, Pa Restaurants- special occasion

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allentown, Pa Restaurants- special occasion

Hi:

My cousin and his fiance live in Mcgungie (we, obviously, do not). I would like to give them a "Big Night Out" for a wedding present. Any restaurant suggestions? I am thinking Ruth Chris or better caliber (local place or upscale chain doesn't matter). Where would you like to go for a newly wed date night?

Thanks,
Kristen
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 04:31 AM

I would go to The Farmhouse in Emmaus.

http://www.thefarmhouse.com/About.htm
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I haven't been in a few years (since college), but The Federal Grill in Allentown was always popular for parent's weekend and graduation, etc. The food is very good, and it has a sophisticated and celebratory atmosphere.

http://www.federalgrill.com/
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Sadly, there's not much in the way of quality dining in Allentown these days. Your cousin would be far better off going to The Edge in Bethlehem. Excellent food and service, plus it's located in the very attractive historic area. There is a parking garage right next to the restaurant.
http://www.edgerestaurant.net/home.htm
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM

If you're willing to trek to Bethlehem, I would also recommend Apollo Grill (New American) or Starfish (fabulous seafood), along with Edge.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Hi erdockac:

My 29-year-old son just moved from Mcgungie (to Thirsty Ground, Pa) and had these suggestions for you:

I just ate at the Apollo Grill. Itís ok. Somewhat fancy, prices were good $13 and entrée for most things. (we were there for lunch though)

It really depends on how nice they are going to go.

Is it a $200 dinner? Then Iíd go to THE Glasburn. Itís by FAR the nicest place to eat around here. Youíll need reservations, but if you want to have a romantic and PRIVATE dinner, thatís the place to go. Hands down. OH, and itís the closest place to Macungie

If thatís too much of a budget, Iíd say go to Blue. Itís between beth and Easton, and itís very nice. Probably a $100 dinner for two. With wine.

The other options would be:

Melt itís a brand new building owned by the same people as BLUE . SUPER AWESOME BUILDING! But the food is expensive and TERRIBLE! I DO NOT RECOMMEND, but thatís just my opinion.

Then, thereís a nice new Italian place in the Lehigh Valley Mall. I canít remember the name, but itís very good.

And lastly, Iíd say Carrabbaís

If she is really trying to treat them, Glasburn is the way to go. Itís the only place around here that they will remember their visit there for a LONG TIME! I worked there, the food is all grown on site in their farm. Actually, itís a resort on a farm. The steak comes right from the cows on the farm, the veggies are grown there, the chicken are running around all over the place. They have rooms there for like $400 to $800 a night I think. They are actually suites in private log cabins, with whirlpools. WAY NICE< WAY UPSCALE. 4 Stars I think. They get a LOT of business from New Yorkers in the fall. They have a nice dinner, great room, and they walk around the grounds and look at the leaves.

Everything else is just a nice dinner out. The Glasburn, is an experience.

Den
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM

Where on earth is Mcgungie?

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and know of a Macungie and spent a lot of time there but have never heard of a Mcgungie.

Our friends in Center Valley who are diehard foodies still place The Edge on the same level as Glasbern (note spelling) in Fogelsville.

The Edge (which also uses organic products) is more urban, Glasbern more country. And since they, like me, grew up in LV's farm country, they tend to prefer the change of a more urban restaurant. But if you like a country atmosphere, Glasbern is lovely. The meals I've had at The Edge all were very good, with excellent service.

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM

Btilke:

Erdockacís ďMcgungieĒ caught my eye and I just assumed she meant ďMacungie, PA.Ē I would not have known how to spell it anyway I just glanced at the word and copied and pasted the post and sent it to my son. I see he corrected the spelling to Macungie but looks like he misspelled Glasbern (note he is not diehard foodie but a buildie hence his emphasis on the building design)!

I would have no clue as to the spelling of the restaurant either and I just copied his reply ďas isĒ thinking perhaps he is around the same age as the OPís cousin of the marrying kind. My sonís fiancé grew up in Macungie and probably knows the OPís cousin! Also his beth would mean Bethlehem and my Thirsty Ground is the Lenni Lenape name for Catasauqua which I did not know how to spell -- the locals up there call it ďCattyĒ perhaps you are familiar with that name as well.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM

Btw Btilke I am pleased to have your information on the Edge as I sure would enjoy an urban ambiance for a change when we go up for a visit. Thanks! I asked my son about the Edge and I just received his reply:

ď Iíve never been there. I thought it was a dance club in some basement. Guess I was wrong.Ē

I remembered the Indian name for my sonís new area because he just bought a home there and if the Indians called it Thirsty Ground I think, ďGreat, he is not in a floodplain and he wonít have a wet basement!Ē
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:17 AM

I can see how Glasbern would be preferred by out of area visitors, esp. from NYC. But we grew up in that farm environment, lots of my friends live in old fieldstone houses, or we hang out in the cheap out of the way spots like the old Limeport hotel bar (which Trip Advisor incorrectly lists as being in Macungie...NO part of Limeport Pike is anywhere near Macungie! and caution, the service to "outsiders" can be subpar).
We hardly ever go up to 'catty. My neck of the Valley is in Lower Milford, down near the Berks/Lehigh/Bucks borders. My brother prefers the Brick Tavern on old Bethlehem Pike. Generally, the Upper Saucon and Lower Milford natives (who grew up there, rather than those who moved there later) don't hang out that much on the "other side" of South Mountain. And since most of us were/are Moravians or came from BethSteel families, we spent a lot more time in Bethlehem.

By the way, Limeport Pike is a pretty drive, esp. once you're past Limeport and heading down toward Hosensack. Some beautiful back roads there, old homes, really nice fall foliage.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM

Good farms there too for fresh picked produce, particularly strawberries, apples and sweet corn. My first non babysitting job was as an apple picker at Hausman's Fruit Farm.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM

We are below your borders in Southern Chester County and in what I guess is the countryburbs now; horse, mushroom, Amish all kinds of farms! I live in one of those fieldstone houses too and going out to eat in a ďcolonial countryĒ setting with country fare does not appeal to me!

I do not know about the fine points of the area but your details are interesting and I will pass them along to my son. His girlfriend should know being a local and they were living in Bethlehem where my son works at an architectural firm (buildie ní designie) but moved into her folkís home in Macungie (teehee these names crack me up) until their home was ready in Catty.

I take it you are not in living in the area now? Donít know what happened to the OP but my son sent more info:

ďOh, I didnít mention Mangoís yesterday. More of a normal nice restaurant. I havenít eaten there, but Iíve gone in for drinks sometimes and itís nice. The food is supposed to be good.Ē
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM

Yes, I know your area, we used to leave near Waterloo Gardens in Exton. Although we live in Europe now, many of my old friends still live in the Valley, all on "our" side of South Mountain and my Mom recently moved back to PA from FL, so I now have a good excuse to go back and visit more often.
When we visited my parents from Exton, we went up route 29/100, then turned right at the Turkey Hill Farm store, followed the back road around to Hosensack where it meets up with Limeport Pike. A nice drive, and the countryside in that pocket of Lehigh/Berks has, so far, avoided cookie cutter housing development. Much nicer route than the turnpike!

It's in that area where the author of the bestseller Marly and Me lived. My mother tells me they're making it into a movie, I wonder if they'll be doing any filming around there.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM

(I meant we took that route to visit my parents when they were still living in Lower Milford township).