All Inclusive for large family gathering?

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

All Inclusive for large family gathering?

Our family (approximately 35 people)raging in ages from 2 to 70 y/o are taking a family vacation together. We would like an all-inclusive so the kids and teenagers can do what they wish and the parents can relax without worrying about what it will all cost. We are flexibile on location but were thinking Carribean. Our time frame would be Christmas week (5-7 days) in 2005. Any suggestions on the best place to go?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Holy-moly, fun2travel - are you related to me? We're planning the exact same type of trip, same time, only 2-80 y/o family members (it's Dad's 80th then). Looking into cruises as I don't want to end up having to do all the cooking for everyone (always seems to work out that way). Disneyworld seems like a nice fit as well. Maybe if I book a lot of rooms on a cruise ship, they'll give me my room for free..hmmmmm. Carribean? An all-inclusive resort? Maybe an idea there. Hadn't thought of that. Let's see if anyone has any other ideas.

Happy travels!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Msg. to Kopp -

Our trip plans certainly sound similar! We will be celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary. We considered a cruise but thought that if even one of the kids turned out to be proned to sea sickness it could ruin the trip. We considered Disney too but really wanted time to hang out together and not worry about the rush to the parks. Also since the families that are going are on different budgets we thought an all inclusive would be easy to save for and you wouldn't have some families/kids being able to do more then others. Hope we get some good ideas on destinations now!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:07 PM

We did a similar trip and you're right about the sea-sickness. My husband and his brother wore the patches and they worked just fine, but my son spent the almost the entire cruise in bed -- not much fun for him.
The other drawback to the cruise was for the late-teens. All the "kids" activites were for those up to 16-yrs old, and the adult activies were either 18 or 21 and over, so our 17-yr old felt left out. (Friends went on a different cruise line and the 'activity age gap' there was 3 years, leaving the 2 late-teens in their family without programed activites.)
I know before we settled on the cruise we were looking at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. I think we'll do it that way next time.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:37 PM

I think if you post this on the Caribbean board you will get many responses or Latin America. That is generally an expensive time to travel but with that large group I would think a good deal could be had. It would also help to know where you are traveling from. I would check into Dominican Republic there are many AL's and usually reasonably priced for the budget minded. You might try to begin by reading tripadvisor.com to search out replies on various resorts. I think Mexico, the Mayan Rivera area would be ideal. There is also many activities off the resorts for to tour, and interests for everyone in your age group. It should be fun planning this I would think. Good luck.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Cozumel is a great choice!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:24 PM

I would suggest going to Negril Jamaica. We just got back from there in May & loved it. That time of year is popular so start looking now. There are several all inclusives in different price ranges.

We stayed at Beaches Negril. It has a really good kids program & some teen activities. All watersports are included which is great. The food was not the finest but it is hard to satisfy all tastes. It was fresh & plentiful. The entertainment has something for all ages. We saw older people without kids there as well as families & a couple of weddings. The quietest building is Montpelier. The waterpark is open now too.

Another choice in Negril is Moon Dance Villas. For about the same price as 1 room in a regular resort you can rent a villa. It comes with your own cook & bartender. They have several different size villas. No organized activities but watersports are included. The beach is gorgeous there.

Have fun wherever you go.