Alaska Trip Planning Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip out to Alaska July, 2011 and need some help with our itinerary. It will be I, my wife and two active kids, 12 and 9, at that time. W will be on “land” in RV for 13 days then cruise the inside passage for 8 days. We plan to fly into Anchorage spend the night then take next day to see Anchorage, hike and get to Talkeetna. We would like to do some flight seeing to Denali the next morning, explore the town and head to Denali Park for the next two nights. Take the early bus tour then explore/hike around Denali. We’ll raft early the next morning the leave in time to make it to Anchorage for the farmers market. The probably spend the night between Anchorage and Seward. The next day we’ll take getting Seward, hiking and exploring the town and the Alaska Sealife Center. The next day we’ll spend with Sunny Cove Sea kayaking and boat tour of Kenai Fjords National park. I guess we will spend the night in Seward the head to Homer. The next morning will spend the day with the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies, either spend another night in Homer or head to Sterling. The next day we’ll spend a half day on the Sean Lake Canoe Route. We now have 2 days left before we need to be back in Anchorage to catch a plane to Vancouver to begin our cruise. Should be head out to Wrangell-St. Elias or do we have time for Prince William Sound. (We will be cruising to Juneau, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm and Skagway (probably to train ride there) so do we need to see Prince William Sound? My daughter really wants to horseback for a half day so where do you suggest? Are there any great “kid friendly” areas I am leaving out that I could fit in? What day hikes do you suggest? Where is the best rafting, Class I to easy III? Which is the best sled dog experience, the one at Denali or Seward Ididaride?
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Rman, the dog sled demo in Denali is great. I can't compare it to the Ididaride one. The bus tour is uncomfortable and long, but you may have some great wildlife sightings. I'd make sure the kids both have binoculars and their own cameras. Take drinks, snacks and pillows and plan to have things to keep the kids engaged in the experience, pictures/checklists for animal/bird sightings, maybe even some reward system for the first one who spots specific flora/fauna. As I said, its a long trip for active kids.

Anchorage has a wonderful Native Alaskan Heritage Center that has live demonstrations with audience participation in dance, music, sports and arts. Your kids will have fun and be involved with local native artists and performers.

Check out the many postings of trip reports and other information on this site by entering your search terms in the forums search at the top of this page.

Alaska is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Have a wonderful trip and post again if you have more specific questions!
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Dogsled demo is great, but even better is a dog sled on real snow, available in several places you will be at. However, it is about $300pp or so.

Consider a night or two at the Alyeska as well. If you can swing the train from Anchorage to Seward, it is very nice. Make sure that your Kenai Fjord experience is going all the way to a glacier. Don't do just the bay area, in my opinion.

If you can consider Salmon fishing somewhere along the way as well. A flyout trip is great. again this one is expensive.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 04:28 AM

I definately would not make Anchorage a priority with the Market. It is so so at best, and for you to consider "rushing" back, in my opinion is a poor plan.

Not sure what your reference is, but it is, either a shuttle OR tour bus into Denali Park. With the kids, I ONLY recommend the shuttle bus to Eielson.

Usually most do not do a round trip cruise with an interior Alaska visit. It certainly would be better use of your time to just do a one way cruise??

Being you have blocked out a day for travel, I would add a couple days for Vancouver touring. A very interesting city, with plenty to see and do.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good advice!