Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 weeks on the Kenai Peninsula: Is that too long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on our itinerary for our Alaska trip this summer and I have us spending almost two weeks on the Kenai peninsula. I'm second guessing this plan a little bit and would love some feedback. We are a family of five - kids will be 10, 14 and 17. We love to hike and kayak. I've gone back and forth about a trip to Denali but we all agree that driving back and forth for six hours a day to sit in a bus for 11 hours is not for us. It would be better to go to Denali another time when we could stay for awhile. The following is our itinerary. Should we try to get in a trip to Valdez somehow? Any other thoughts for a destination? Thanks.

6/26 fly from Boston. Stay at Alyeska Resort and hike in afternoon. (Maybe we should stay in Anchorage this night and bike Tony Knowles trail).

6/27 Prince William Sound for glacier cruise and/or kayaking. Back to Alyeska.

6/28 - 7/2 Seward area. Hike and kayak. I wanted to add in a day or two at Princess Lodge in Cooper Landing, but it is booked. I'm looking for a house to rent or lodge in the Seward area.

7/3-7/5 Ridgewood Lodge in Halibut Cove.

7/6,7/7 - Homer, including flight trip to see the bears.

7/8, 7/9 - Seattle and home

I feel like there's room to add in another area, but there seems to be so much to do in the Kenai.I could add a night in Anchorage at the beginning or another night in Girdwood - or, again, Valdez and vicinity. Our itinerary is worked around doing the bear trip as late in the itinerary as possible (something to do with the tides and flight plane access). I'd love some Fodors feedback!
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:36 AM

My kids were 10 and 12 when we went to
Alaska two summers ago. Like your family, we love being outdoors. If I could re-do our trip, I'd go to the Kenai peninsula for 2 weeks and skip Denali. There is plenty to do on the Kenai, and you won't feel rushed to get to the next place.

Denali is a big, beautiful national park but the rest of Alaska is just as beautiful. The only different is that you might get to see the Denali peak, and you might not (we happened to get great visibility on the day of our bus tour). We saw wildlife much closer to us on the Kenai than we did on the Denali bus tour. The sheep on the side of the mountain on the road between Anchorage and Girdwood were much more spectacular to see than the ones we had to use binoculars to see from the tour bus at Denali. Seeing bears at Katmai first might have ruined Denali for us because when you've been 10 feet away on a platform over the bears, having to use binoculars on a bus just doesn't cut it. The bottom line is that in our humble opinion, Denali is somewhat overrated. I think it gets so much attention because so many of the cruise ship passengers go there on their land tours.

I think your itinerary is outstanding and I wouldn't change a thing. We did do the Tony Knowles trail, but I'd pick Alyeska for the first night because you will feel that your journey into Alaska has begun. The TK trail is great if you have a day in Anchorage but I wouldn't stay in Anchorage just to do the trail.

My kids have been all over the US and Europe and Alaska is their favorite trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

padams, thank you so much for your advice. It is incredibly helpful. If you have any other advice about what you did and where you stayed on the KP I'd love to hear it!!
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM

You have a very nice plan. I wouldn't be adding Valdez at this point.

If you want wildlife, then consider a Kenai Fjords boat tour, significant for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing. You do need a trip of no less than 6 hours on the water. Take precautions, if prone to motion sickness, I see ill passengers EVERY trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM

The Forest Fair in Girdwood is July 2-4. I thought it was a nice craft fair ranging from kids to serious artists. Lots of music. Fun, interesting food vendors. (not your usual fair food)
We've also enjoyed the 4th of July parade in Kenai. What can I say, I love a parade and they do it up big.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are going to keep to the two week plan on the Kenai peninsula.
I am thinking, however, of trying to set up an overnight charter on Prince William Sound. Does anyone know of a charter out of Whittier? I've heard great things about Sound Eco Adventures, but he's booked for our dates. Does anyone know anything about the Discovery or Auklet (both of which may be booked) or any other charter?