Alaska in May

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska in May

We are visiting relatives in Seattle in May. We can get a frequent flier ticket to Alaska for a few extra days at the end of our visit.. Is it worth spending the money on four or five nights in hotels and a rental car to drive from Anchorage to Seward and return. We are interested in scenery, seeing glaciers and short hikes. Wildlife viewing is secondary. We have been to the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper). Is Alaska scenery more dramatic or different from these areas? How are the mosquitos in May?. If we do not go to Alaska, we would probably spend the extra days around the Vancouver, BC area, where we have been before. The latter would be significantly less expensive and less hassle than going to Alaska. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
May around Southcentral Alaska can be great, or the weather can be iffy, but that applies to Seattle/Vancouver also.

I think you'd find Anchorage/Prince William Sound/Seward to be very interesting and quite different from Banff/Jasper, if for no other reason than there's not much salt water or many whales or seals in the Canadian Rockies .

There might be some mosquitoes about, but depending on where you are and what part of May, I doubt you'd find them to be particularly annoying. Just bring or buy Deet and you'll be okay.

"When" in May is important - spring comes late to Alaska and some areas, such as the interior of Denali Park, won't be accessible. Seward and the Kenai, and PW Sound, however, will be fine. May is also pretty much before the peak visitor period, so you shouldn't have trouble finding accommodations.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM

We went to Alaska 5 years back and in 5 days you can actually do a lot... here is what I suggest...

1. Take 26 glacier cruise from Whittier... it used to begin at 1pm at that time and laster 4-5 hours...may have changed since then...this is just amazing...
2. Drive to Seward (Turn Again Arm), do a easy hike to exit glacier..
3. If you have a full day, take a full day Kenai Fjord National Park...This was really good as we got to see the Aialik Glacier and many whales etc on the way...
4. From Anchorage, do a two hour, mostly boring, drive to Talkeetna and take a flight trip to Alaskan range with galcier landing (don't skimp on the glacier landing as it is just awesome)...
5. If you still have more time, drive down from Anchorage to Valdez... There is just to much to do on the way... Very easy hike to Matanuska Glacier, See the Wrangell NP from a distance, see wothington glacier, Thompson pass, keystone canyon, pipeline etc... Just too much to see on this route... This one requires one day to go and a day to come back... Valdez itself is very pretty and the mountains around there are more european "Alps" like...

Anyway...what I have written is way too much for 4-5 nights but you can pick and choose...have fun deciding...
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Forgot to mention we went from May 26th to June 3rd on 2004 and weathers was just great and absolutely no crowds, so it was very easy to drive around and not deal with crowds...
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Alaska is doable in your timeframe, I would suggest the Kenai Peninsula, with a boat tour out of Whittier, and Seward, and a couple nights in Homer.

Another option would be to spend a few days on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers plenty, but so does the north sections, which are plenty different. Vancouver has a lot to see and do as well.