Search

Alaska: desire extremely remote wilderness, but have seniors and 2 year old

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM
owl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska: desire extremely remote wilderness, but have seniors and 2 year old

Hello, all! Here's the situation: we can fly anywhere Alaska airlines flies into Alaska. Here are the options:

Adak
Anchorage
Barrow
Bethel
Cordova
Dillingham
Dutch Harbor
Fairbanks
Glacier Bay / Gustavus
Juneau
Ketchikan
King Salmon
Kodiak
Kotzebue
Nome
Petersburg
Prudhoe Bay
Sitka
Wrangell
Yakutat

My husband and I have a 2 year old and my senior citizen parents in tow. My husband and I have been all over the world--from places on the border between Namibia and Angola with no roads to walking safaris in Zambia to Cambodia, etc. If we were traveling on our own we'd go to some extreme wilderness area for something remote and spectacular. But we can't do that, alas! We could, of course, fly into ANC and drive to Seward (boat tour) and Homer (where we'll rent a house for the week). People talk a lot about Homer, which makes me nervous that it's going to be a touristy diappointment. Nonetheless, my husband and I could break away for the day on Emerald air to do bear viewing. But would you recommend another plan? Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM

If it were I, and price were no obstacle, I'd fly to Fairbanks or Anchorage, get to Denali (train?), and stay at Camp Denali:

http://www.campdenali.com/cd/index.htm

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Is there a reason why you want extremely remote wilderness?
If you haven't been to Alaska before, you will find that it is beautiful and prestine almost anywhere you go. I don't know how safe it is to take a two year old and seniors to extreme wilderness. Anchorage, of course, is a big city, but you have other places that are in keeping with what you would consider to be Alaska.
The drive from Anchorage to Valdez is spectacular, and a stay half way at the Copper River Princess Lodge would be icing on the cake.
The Kenai Penninsula is very beautiful.
Homer and Seward are popular tourist destinations, but they are far from built up. They have a quaint, small town feel. From Homer, you can ferry to other islands and in Seward you can take day cruises, which are wonderful.
Your 2 year old would love the Sea Life Center.
You can fly or I believe ferry to Kodiak to see the bears.
I think you will love Alaska.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Tourist accommodations and activities are pretty scarce on the ground in some of the destinations you mention; and frankly "extreme wilderness" and jet-capable airports are to some degree contradictions anyway. Except Prudhoe Bay (not beloved by the oilies in my previous life) I've been to all the places listed, some of them way more times than I'd have liked, and really feel your mixed-age group will do best by sticking to more tourist-friendly destinations, in particular the Denali - Anchorage - Kenai Peninsula - Prince William Sound loop.

Breaking away for a day for a fly-in someplace is an excellent idea; in fact you might consider taking the grandparents and the child up in a flightseeing hop out of Lake Hood in Anchorage as it is - very enjoyable experience, easy access to some wonderful, remote country, but back to "civilization" for the overnight.

Perhaps I missed it, but when would this be? Some of the outlying destinations have rather restricted tourism seasons, and some are just not on for elders or toddlers.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM

If price is no object and you can fly to Ketchikan, then reserve a week at the Lodge at Whale Pass. I went in August 2005, and it was fantastic. Beyond fantastic. And they'll structure activities so that everyone in the group is happy -- from hardcore wilderness people to the most pampered 2-year old and grandparent.

www.whalepass.com

I'm not a tour group kind of person (at all) and neither is my boyfriend who invited me, and we both had a fantastic time. We did a ton of fishing, some hiking, bear watching, whale watching, spelunking, kayaking, ... they provide all the gear and guides (who were good people, btw), and you go off on your own, pretty much, or in very small (2-6 people) groups. They also have mountain bikes, and can set up float plane adventures for you, too -- in fact, that's the only way to get there from Ketchikan.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
owl
Original Poster

thank you very much for your responses so far. To answer your question, this is for an August trip. Keep the ideas flowing!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Most of the places on that list are indeed remote, but not particularly rich in scenic wonders. They are fishing harbors, military outposts, and Native Alaskan villages, with little to offer even an adventurous tourist. Many of the others doo indeed offer access to some beautiful areas along the coast---Cordova, Gustavus, Juneau, Ketchican, etc.

But I stand by my recommendation for Camp Denali, a wilderness resort run by a long-time Alaskan family with incredible views of Denali itself. I lived in Alaska for 9 years, and the single mose memorable day and night were the time we spent at Camp Denali, hiking til midnight in full view of that majestic mountain.

While they do not have special programs for small children, You could carry your two-year old on your hikes in a backpack (that's what we did). If you can manage even a 3-night stay, I think you would find it an amazing experience.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
owl
Original Poster

THanks for the response regarding Camp Denali. Although my husband and I have spent that kind of money in the past, it really isn't worth it to us to spend that money with our little guy in tow. And my parents aren't looking to spend that much either. We're thinking 200/night per couple for accomodations only would be the ceiling rate.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Camp Denali is a good rec. Likewise, other wilderness lodges are options as well.

Consider adding this to a Homer/Emerald air area visit:
http://www.alaskawildernesslodge.com/
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
GP

Hi Owl

extreme wilderness is no place for a two year old

be careful
GP
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM

I think Gardyloo made a good suggestion about flight seeing. Homer is wonderful and popular with both Alaskans and tourists. It won't be a Disney experience even though you'll find at least one cheesy gift shop. Seward is great and I agree that your 2 yo will enjoy the Sea Life Center. Friends who live there like taking their two young children to the Wild Life preserve near Portage Glacier. Although both were born in AK neither has done much adventuring but even an Anchorage suburb can get dangerous at certain times of the year when the cute baby moose attracts a hungry bear. We stayed in a cabin several miles off the highway and were warned by the owners that bear and moose were around. During one hike my husband clapped two rocks together to make noise. With a 2 yo who probably still needs naps, I think you might appreciate some conveniences this trip. A bear viewing trip while the grandparents babysit would be ideal. And then they could go on a different day. It also wouldn't be crowded if you took a helicopter to mush a dog team on a glacier. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM

There is lots of info on the net for sure. Then there is Men in Trees to check out.

Sounds like quite the trip you are undertaking and covering the generation gap.

Mich

http://www.travel-tips.ca/alaska/