Search

Alaska day trips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska day trips

So we are hoping to do our Alaska trip that was canceld last summer. I think I may be trying to do too many float/boat trips. These are the trips that we are considering:
Juneau- Taku Glacier plane to the lodge for dinner (this is only a few hours)
Homer Emerald Air- day trip to the bush to see the wilderness and bears.
Homer- boat tour to Halibut Cove (few hours)
Seward-National Park tour Fox Island (day)
I will appreciate any feedback.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We did the all day, 8 hour National park boat tour out of Seward. It included a stop at Fox Island for lunch, but the highlights were the birds and marine life: Stellar sea lions, puffins, orcas, humpback whales breaching. And going into the cove to see the glacier from the water. Fabulous.

I’m sorry a can’t give advice on your other plans. Hopefully someone else can help.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 04:38 AM

We did the longest trip out of Seward with only a stop at Fox Island to pick up passengers. I did not want to consider a meal if my husband had problems with seasickness. It was a very calm day, however, so no problem at all and we enjoyed the lunch and cookies served on the boat. Plan to spend the night nearby if you have an early morning departure.

In Homer we took the boat trip but not to Halibut Cove but it was not as interesting as the trip out of Seward. I thought the Pratt Museum was very interesting and exploring Homer was fun. We also went when the farmers market was open.

One of my favorite activities was attending the Forest Fair which is held around July 4th in Girdwood. Found some nice souvenirs. It was interesting to see everyone from Girl Scouts to professional artists selling work. Music and food and also our closest encounter with a bear. I heard people yelling but only saw bushes moving. The bear had been attracted by food smells.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

this is helpful.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by tidy
So we are hoping to do our Alaska trip that was canceld last summer. I think I may be trying to do too many float/boat trips. These are the trips that we are considering:
Juneau- Taku Glacier plane to the lodge for dinner (this is only a few hours)
Homer Emerald Air- day trip to the bush to see the wilderness and bears.
Homer- boat tour to Halibut Cove (few hours)
Seward-National Park tour Fox Island (day)
I will appreciate any feedback.
Don't forget to share your experience. We are looking for a kid-friendly holiday spots this year.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 07:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What month? How many people? Are you arriving in Alaska by boat or flying into Anchorage? When my wife and I went to Alaska, we stayed on land (no boats or small planes). We stayed in a small B&B on the hill above Homer and had a cow moose walk by while we were eating breakfast one morning. We took a day trip from Homer over to Seward and hiked up to the toe of Exit Glacier.
Any thoughts on going north of Anchorage (Denali and Fairbanks)?