Search

Alaska Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:53 AM
lf

Alaska Cruise

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska this coming summer. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a great/terrible experience on their cruise to Alaska. What cruise line or ship would you recommend? Thanks!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Patrick

You may get a response or two, but many of us here are more independent travelers and not into cruises. Are you aware that there is a separate cruise forum on Fodors? Repost this question there and I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:45 AM
GOL

Another place with seeming endless opinions on cruises is the old fashioned internet newsgroup rec.travel.cruises

You can access it via google.com (groups and enter rec.travel.cruises in the search)

A quick search of "Alaska" in this cruise newsgroup yielded 32,000 postings. Search BY DATE for better navigating.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Michelle

Try www.cruisecritic.com for lots of info.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM
steve

Went on the Sun Princess in June/July 2002. Was fine trip. Great way to see that part of Alaska.

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the Princess Star in August 2002 from Vancouver to Seward. It was a brand new ship, so it was great.

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 09:33 AM

We went on Holland America Sept 1, 2002 Vancouver to Seward (Statendam). We have great service, clean rooms, food was great and the staff was so friendly!! My favorite port was Skagway! Then rented a SUV at Anchorage Airport and drove for 6 days. Had a great time and can't wait to go back. The Autumn colors were breathtaking, and the 1st 2 weeks in Sept is the best time to go (even got to see full view of Mt. McKinley). Enjoy your trip there!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:26 PM

If you are considering small ships, I heartily recommend Cruise West (www.cruisewest.com). We experienced Southeast with their day cruises and slept in motels in Ketchikan, Petersburg and Juneau. This allowed us to meet more locals yet see the coast "up close and personal" with the small ship that could maneuver where the big liners cannot go. There were about 35 on board. We followed that with their 3-day Prince William Sound cruise, where we slept on board (tons of glaciers) and visited Valdez and took a land tour from Anchorage to Denali (train) to Fairbanks (bus).