Alaska and Canadian Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're interested in spending several weeks next year visiting Alaska and taking the Rocky Mountaineer train between Vancouver and Banff, but we've never been in that part of the world and need help sorting out the many approaches to seeing Alaska.

Priorities are:
1. Glaciers (and taking photos of stunning scenery in general).
2. Wildlife, close-up.
3. Seeing the aurora--but that may have to wait for a separate trip.
4. Picturesque towns.
5. Moderate hiking.
6. Wildflowers.

Hubby provides two limitations: he gets seasick easily (although was fine on a large cruise ship) and is sensitive to mosquito bites.

Any ideas on what type of trip and time of year would work best for us?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Are you aware that on the Rocky Mountaineer, you don't actually spend the nite on the train? (One of the reasons for taking a train trip IMHO).

You might want to think about making that journey on VIA Rail with a bedroom compartment - their service/food is excellent and we greatly enjoyed our Winnipeg to Vancouver (via Jasper) this past July - at a much less cost than the Rocky Mtnr, I believe.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I prefer the Rocky Mountaineer because you stay in Kamloops overnight and don't miss any of the scenery.

Vancouver to Banff on Rocky Moutaineer.
Rent car for 5 days. Drive from Banff to Jasper (Columbia Icefields, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake and much morek).
Jasper to Vancouver on train.
Large ship Vancouver to Alaska (stops should determine which ship). My favorite stops were Sitka, and Skagway but hopefully include a day in Glacier Bay.
Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Denali. In order to protect Denali, there are mostly large tour groups here but you can arrange the train and activities through the railroad.

I think this could keep you interested for about a month and you'll leave wanting more. I was last there in 1994 but each year I think more and more about a return trip. Consider a small boat because the inside passage is relatively calm and the experience with 100 people is quite different from the experience with 1000 or more.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for a possible itinerary, Barbara. You suggested a "Large ship Vancouver to Alaska" but later talked about a small boat--do I understand correctly that you think we should look into taking a small ship out of Vancouver rather than a large?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM

If youre thinking od\f driving in the rockies check out the Canadian site and there is an expert posting named Judy who can give you the best advice!!