help with best way to cruise alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ive only cruised once before it was with celebrity around Norway. That was a fantastic trip The people on board we're of mixed ages hardly any children, which suited us as our kids are now grown up. The lack of parental control these days can make it tough I hope you know what I mean. So is Celebrity the right choice for alaska? we're friendly British people who like to converse and meet new folk, been to America 4 times and loved it, like sight seeing and land trips we try to fit in as much as we can. Just not sure which trip to book. If possible we would like to do the rocky mountineer straight after cruise and fly home. Ive had a look but it's hard to piece together from this end. Any help would be grateful. Thanks dave
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM

I would recommend Holland America because it is one of the lines that specialize in Alaska and tends to cater to adults. Be sure to include a week on the land in Alaska including time at Denali National Park to see the wildlife. There should be a land trip that starts in Fairbanks and ends in Seward where you board the ship to Vancouver. You should start with the land portion because then you will end in Vancouver where you can start your Rocky Mountain train experience. That is the best train trip I have ever taken by the way. Take the option that goes from Vancouver to Calgary. If you have time, spend some in Banff.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM

We did the Canadian Rockies Mountaineer train trip from Vancouver to Jasper, Banff & Calgary in late April 2007, and it was marvelous. Make sure you choose the "gold leaf" not the "red leaf" option. It was super deluxe. We were on a Collette Vacations tour, stand alone, not connected to an Alaskan tour, but there's no reason it couldn't be if the timing is right. We flew into Vancouver and out of Calgary. Mostly British on our tour. About 8 Americans. It was grand fun. Everyone mingled.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Frankly, I choose Alaska, then the ship. There are MANY differences in itineraries, do your homework and plan what is your priority.

Celebrity one way, lacks College Fjords, which Princess and HAL sail. Also no Glacier Bay permits for Celebrity, which is always my first glacier sailing choice.

There are, overall, FAR fewer kids sailing Alaska, compared to the Caribbean. The bulk of passengers are middle aged and above, on all lines.

I am no fan of cruisetours, they are the highest cost interior Alaska touring option seeing the least compared to independent. It is very simple and easy to go on your own, if you wish. With any cruise tour- DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and understand fully everything about your purchase, most people do not.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, look at a map, make lists. The more you know the better your travels will be for your priorities.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Regardless of what itinerary you do I recommend doing the cruise in May, June or September. You won't have many if any kids on board at that time and Alaska isn't an itineray that is so family oriented. Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy it and I hope you have great weather as well.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM

I just did trip 25 this year to Alaska, and sorry, but the above post isn't a big issue. Far fewer kids visit Alaska compared to the Caribbean. I have sailed in August many many times, and NEVER have the kids been even noticed. I cruised mid July this year, again, very very kids.

I would make my booking based on activites you wish to consider and time available for you to travel.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

"Celebrity one way, lacks College Fjords, which Princess and HAL sail. Also no Glacier Bay permits for Celebrity, which is always my first glacier sailing choice."

Any reason why Celebrity does not have the permit for Glacier Bay? I thought without Glacier Bay, you will go to Collge Fjord for sure,

Looks like the Cruise lines changed their sailings a bit for 2008 so it is not the usual stops any more.

Please name some "independent" tours you took at port for my personal reference. There are lots to see but with a limited time at each port, choices are important. I have been to Alaska a few times (not 25 yet) and I ended up doing similar things every time.

I am game to try everything and anything but my wife doesn't like the exitiment too mcuh (so zip line is out)

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
KATHERINEMAEPARDEE

I don't think you'd be disappointed with Celebrity. We happen to live in the northwest and have hopped their cruise to Alaska a couple of times...at the last minute. We are so brainwashed with Celebrity. We are not looking to cruise these days but more active travel but when we worked, Celebrity was always our choice. Elegance and outstanding service. You really can't beat their cuisine and they do excel in their staff selections. I've cruised on Holland American and one other smaller ship. So many cruise lines are including gratuity now and many of us prefer to have it excluded. Many cruise lines are charging for beverages, some meals, and other amenities, ie. gym, pool- now and Celebrity still does not charge. Do a careful comparison but if you were pleased with Celebrity in the scandinavian countries, Alaska will be the same. I would just suggest you select their newest ship. We too are retired and travel when kids are in school. We like the last (Sept) Alaskan cruises because they have tremendous sales on board. i.e. $30.00 t-shirts marked down to $4.00 each!!!! Weather can always be cold; dress accordingly. Our coldest trip was in July! Don't forget your swimsuit; great indoor and outdoor pools. We especially liked the heated outdoor pools 90 degrees (salt water) when the air seemed near freezing! Quite invigorating.