Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Age Old Question? So Cal to San Antonio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it seems everybody these days is asking the question: sell the overinflated California property, move to Texas and pay cash??..I however after doing some of my own research am mostly concerned with the Property Taxes and the summer humidity..In my situation , my company is relocating to San Antonio (North of the City)and I will most likely also be out of a job if I don't go.. ..but I will be able to transfer with my California salary.!! very appealing!!.I will be able to pay cash for a home of about $300k or so..Most of our families have left California over the years and so we are already scattered..it is very tempting to be Mortgage free and keep my same rate of pay..that being said..with the high Prop tax base..it is a scary consideration..
Conicidentally my grandparents are from Burnet..however i haven't been to Texas in many years..It is well over 100 plus where i live now (inland, So cal)..so heat is not a factor but i have a very hard time with humidty and after reading previous posts am more fearful!! I have also heard one will miss the ocean more than one realizes!!Our children are grown, we are about 8 yrs or so from retirement(thus the temptation to keep the job!!) and enjoy,boating, hiking, off roading etc..not too cultural..
Any advice on risk of staying here and possibly being out of work vs transfer there and and be mortgage free in the heat and humidity??
Thanks for all and any opinions !!!!(planning a visit next month, but won't give a true picture of the weather, I guess?)
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
trippinkpj

I was in Austin in August. It was hot (upper 90's/ 100) but not too humid. A little more humid than California, but nothing like the deep south in the summer. We drove to Houston which was more humid. I'm not sure about San Antonio, although hopefully a "native" will respond.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
trippinkpj

Oh, as far as the ocean goes, I think Corpus Christi on the gulf, is only a couple of hours drive. Unlike California though, I don't think it's cooler at the beach.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM

No State Income Tax.
Besides air conditioning helps humidity as much as heat. You can go visit LA with the $$ you'll be ahead.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM

Yes, property taxes are higher here, but there is no state income tax. And yes, it can get humid in the summer time, but not as bad as DC or New Orleans or Houston or Miami, and usually not for very long. The coast (as the beach is called here) is about 2.5 hours away by car, and there are numerous lakes even closer.
In terms of the joys of living mortgage free - pretty hard to beat. I will share what several friends who relocated here from CA now say - "wish we did not buy a McMansion in the sprawl area". In your position (don't I wish!) I would buy a moderate house in town and a getaway place at a lake or on the coast.
Welcome to town - there's a great bunch of Fodorites waiting to welcome you!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies/info...I just love the reference to the "Mc Mansion"!! Very funny and something i had thought about..as of course human nature is to want to "buy" the biggest/best place you can...but then realisticaly thinking about the upkeep air and heating bills etc..I must say more research I do, more I think I couldn't adjust to the humidity!! really alot to consider!! Thanks again..any more input/info is greatly appreciated!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

I have to agree with a guy on another thread: the first thing I noticed about SA is that nobody has a clue how to drive here, and you take your life into your own hands when driving, it's scary.
lord help you if you pull out into a street thinking the oncoming folks will slow down to be safe - they don't.

I love the area - but drivers here make LA drivers look good.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:33 AM

Well, I really don't like the climate in San Antonio. I grew up on the east coast--Del. MD & DC before moving to San Antonio 16+ years ago--give me east coast summer humidity any day over the large doses of extreme heat and sun here--it it not for me but I seem to be in the minority. The people here, however, are amazing, downtown is beautiful, etc. Really my only gripe is the weather.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM

If time permits, you may want to visit SA in the summer and see the "worst of it" for yourself. My first year here I was blown away by the humidity in July/August but after Houston and DC it's more than tolerable to me. As the beautiful, charming and insightful AnneMarie C notes, the locals are terrific and the downtown is great. One other thing to note - do not expect property appreciation anything near what you have in CA. A lot of my friends in McMansions are feeling "stuck" because even though they want to sell and move closer in, they find it difficult to get their money out of their houses because there is so much competition from builders offering creative financing to lure unsuspecting California transplants .
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

In case you don't know, there is no income tax reason now to spend as much for your new home as you sold your old home for. The tax laws that required that to avoid capitol gains tax changed several years ago. A single person can now realize up to $250,000 of profit tax-free. A married couple can have up to $500,000 profit tax free.

You have to meet three simple rules and, if you do, the sale is not even reportable on your income tax return.

1. It must have been your personal residence for 24 of the 60 months prior to the sale.
2. You must have owned it for a minimum of two years.
3. You must not have taken the same tax free treatment of the sale of another property within the 24 months prior to the sale of this property.

Less than two years ago, I sold my super-inflated home in So Calif for my move to So. Nevada. I was able to make a tax-free sale of that home and purchased a larger home here for considerably less, pocketing the difference.

If you do not meet all the three rules above but meet other tests (one of which is job relocation), you can still take a portion of the profits tax free. Anyone considering this option should consult a CPA or tax attorney before doing so.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM

With only a few years until retirement, stay with the job--you'll find out what age discrimination is like if you have to find another one. I think you'll enjoy a lot of things about San Antonio--my favorite city in Texas. And if you don't like it, you can move again when you retire. As for the property taxes, it's a tradeoff with a state income tax. Many people think Texas is a low-tax state (including many Texans) but they are wrong: its tax burden places it in the middle of states.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone.the more I ask and investigate (i,e..over analyze) lol..seems more questions I have..Here in Ca Prop txs are about 1.25% of purch price, I hear in Texas it's approx 3%?if this is correct,? if so this would not be made up by the state tax I pay now...!! I will not have any Cap Gains tax..I will net approx $350k from sale here, hence looking to buy at $300k or less!! Is this tax rate near correct?? Thanks again!!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM

The property taxes will include levies for: city, county, school, hospital district, community college district, etc.....so it all depends on where you live. You might go to the website for the Bexar Appraisal District, but your best source will be to look at the tax information on houses listed for sale. Go to Realtor.com or other MLS sites and search by area; then contact the Realtor to find out what the taxes are. However, your taxes could be considerably higher as sometimes the house is reassessed based upon selling price.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Oh, Seamus, stop it already--I can't afford to pay you this month ;-)
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I lived in the same house in Dallas for 25 years: humidity was seldom an issue, but heat was. I replaced my heater/AC with a top end unit (SEER 19 AC) and cut my gas and electric bills in half.
Too bad I couldn't do the same with property taxes and insurance.
Your move sounds like a no-brainer from a financial perspective if you are remotely close to retirement.
M (retired in SMdA, Gto., MX)
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:03 PM

No prob, Anne Marie, you can cash in points for this month ;-)

To see some properties you can look on www.sabor.com and to see the actual taxes note the property address and plug it in on the page at http://www.bcad.org/clientdb/main.asp?id=1 You may also want to check out some of the FSBO sites or craigslist to see what else is on the market.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM

We moved to Texas (Houston) from California (Torrance/Hermosa Beach) 3 1/2 yrs ago during August. 3 1/2 yrs later I wonder why we hadn't done it sooner. We love it here.

Here are some of our realities:

Yes the heat and humidity can be trying, but you learn to deal with it. You also learn that there are allot of places that require a sweater or jacket in summer because the a/c is so darn cold.

Seamus is right about the McMansion. There are allot of them here and if you don't insist that realtors show you a house that is manageable you will only be shown McMansions. My townhouse in Calif. was 1400 sq. ft. My house in Houston is 1800 sq ft. and only one floor. Small by Texas standards. But it's enough for me and my husband. My a/c in summer is never more then $120/month and most months less. We have a friend that bought a house/mansion with 3 a/c units. $600/month plus during the hotter months. Property taxes are 3% and go up every year with the value of your property.

For the first time in our married life we don't have to worry about schools. Though we live in a better school district, my husband's commute is 5 min. His old commute was 45 min. on a good day.

My husband got to keep his salary this is true but his raises are not as big as they would have been in Calif.

I quit working and travel back and forth to Calif as often as I like to visit our daughter. About every other month.

We are able to travel allot more.

Texas drivers drive like NASCAR drivers...fast and on your heels. Unlike Calif. there's not always warning that an off-ramp is fast approaching or if it will be on the left side or right side of the fwy. But they do number their off-ramps which I just love. And there are frontage roads along most fwys with U-turns, I love these too. I believe all the bigger Texas cities have a fwy that circles the city so technically you can stay on and be right back where you started. Fwy and roads always seem to be under construction day or night.

Produce in the markets aren't as good. In Houston there is only one farmer's market and it's at the other end of town so I never go. I really miss that.

For us to go to another larger city is at least a 2 hour drive (Austin)

Yes I miss the beach and the mountains. I now have to fly to find snow. I now camp and hike in the winter. But I'm still happy that we moved here.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

wow..thanks, very, very informative...i have a 2200 sq ft 1 story home now (older) with a small older pool..this is plenty big enough!! tempting to see all the MC Mansions on the net..but utilities, upkeep etc would be alot!! my questions are this,if the heat/humidity is bad (coming from your previous coastal location especially!!) if you miss the beach/mtns, prop taxes are higher, raises are lower, drivers are worse, produce is worse other than being able to travel more...what is really, really appealing to you about living there? I am more curouis than ever!!
Also general question, how hard is to find a one story home, with a pool on say 1/2 acre or more North of the city, with a max price of $300k> opinion anyone? preferably NOT in a planned community?? (seems Texas is full of those!!) such a hard decision!! and thanks again to any and all replies!! so very helpful!!!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Honestly we were looking to move out of Los Angeles before my husbands job relocated. Additionally we are not getting any younger and it might be more difficult for my husband to find a job so he wanted to move with the job. And we like to experience new places.

Texas may not have been our first choice, but we are happy that we gave it a try otherwise we'd never have known what a nice place it could be.

We have learned to adjust when necessary.

While I miss the beautiful southern California beaches. I was not one to spend my summer days there when living in California. I also have the Gulf only 20 min away and though it's not pretty I still enjoy the sound of the waves and for the most part the beach is empty so I have it all to myself.

Drivers, yes are crazy and traffic can be bad at times. My daughter says that I now drive like a Texan and since neither my husband or I, has to be in traffic it's a choice we make. Plus traffic in Houston is just a few hours a day, not all day long as it can be in the Los Angeles area.

The humidity is not bad now. I actually spent several long days working outdoors this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also will play softball or other sports. You learn to hydrate.

Produce is not as good, so I travel to several supermarkets and I usually make what is in season and looks good. I will travel to our farmers market when I feel like venturing to other parts of town. Blueberries here are delicious, something I didn't find in California. Avocados not so much so when I find them I live on them or I buy them in Calif and bring them back with me.

The hardest adjustment has been smoking in restaurants. If you go out in the evenings they allow smoking in allot of places so I just know that no matter what time we get home I will be showering.

Knowing all I know now I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Oh i just now re-read your post..guess i missed you are in Houston...i also would neaver have considered Texas(tho have considered other West coast states, Nevada,etc..but i like your husband would be followng the "job".so big consideration!.another thing i did not knwo is the gulf is not pretty, i pictured it to be the opposite..how bout Padre Island ?? i would need a beach fix now and then..thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -