Afternoon Tea in NYC

Search

Afternoon Tea in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon Tea in NYC

Looking to take my 11 yr old daughter and a few friends for afternoon tea. Need some suggestions for hotels and times in NYC. Also any other activities for 11 yr girls in the city.

Thanks

A Courageous Father
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Yes, you are a Courageous Father

My list of tea salons,
Lady Mendels on Irving Place
Tea & Sympathy in the W Village
Alices Teacup, on 73rd, West side
JPMorgan Library
also-NOT a tea salon and no high tea but one of my favorite afternoon tea stops is Serendipity! They can all share a frozen hot chocolate!
Have fun~
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Also....Takeshimaya - Japanese Dept store, lovely~
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM

This is too much fun...
Dylan's Candy Bar (60th and 3rd Ave)
Bloomingdale's Makeover at MAC Counter
Alice's Tea Cup (73rd and Columbus) Canal Street for cheap bags and funky accessories
Midtown Library
Butterfly Exhibit at the Natural History Museum (live butterflies)
Picnic in Central Park (Barring any snow)
sports minded: Chelsea Piers or Hackers Hitters and Hoops (downtown and much smaller)
You can also pick up a copy of Eloise and give to them as a gift, then take them to tea at the Plaza!
have a blast!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:46 PM

If you want laid back and casual go to Alice's Teacup www.alicesteacup.com

If you want eye popping splendor, go to The Plaza

Definitely take her on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and it's a nice ride.

You may also want to take her to either the Central Park Zoo or the Bronx Zoo.

Philip
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Tess

Andy,
My 10 year old daughter loved tea at the Pierre. Very elegant with only a dozen or so tables and the waiters spoiled her silly. We walked through the Plaza while trying to decide which place to go--my daughter enjoyed seeing where Eloise hung out but chose the Pierre for tea.
We saw New York as tourists so don't have many suggestions for entertaining 11 year old girls in the city. Given my own experience with this age, though, I'd say that after tea they'd be happiest someplace where they could try on and play with makeup, glitter, lotions and body sprays. Anyone know of a place like this for Andy to check out?

You are absolutely a courageous father--kudos to you!!

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:50 AM

I took my nieces to tea at the Plaza a few years ago and they loved it. I thought that MacKenzie Childs on Madison Avenue did tea. They used to and it might be worth a call. This is a place that looks like the Mad Hatters tea room gone beserk. It looks like tea has gone away however while looking at their very lame website. I think if you went to Rockefeller Plaza afterword and maybe bought one of those lovely chocolate by Tescher (not sure if that is exactly the name). Now these suggestions are for the very feminine little girl. One of my nieces really wanted to go to St. Marks and see the punks and other unique looking individuals inhabiting 8th (St. Marks PL) . LMF
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Take the girls to Bloomingdales and let the make-up people make them up. Just be prepared to say "no" to buying all that stuff.
The Metropolitan Museum has special kids tours and programs very often. Treasure Hunt available everyday I think. Check "Time Out NY" for things to do and see. NY Times also has list of kids activities every Friday.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:09 AM

http://www.newyorkled.com/
Andy, try this for some ideas! They might like Sephora also, girly stuff
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Andytraveler, I have been to Alice's Tea Cup many times and I have to say that as recently as one week ago the service has been unsatisfactory. The week prior to that my friend and I had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated while the two women in front counted huge wads of cash in full view of everyone. The food has been okay at best. It's cute and eclectic, but it has been inconsistent. Lady Mendl's is a wonderful afternoon tea experience. Tea & Sympathy is small and there's often a wait. If money is no object you can schedule a glamour party at one of the city's nicer salons where the girls can get a manicure. One year I took my daughter and a few of her friends to the New York City Ballet to see Swan Lake and they loved it.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Serendipity is very popular for girls. Between the Plaza and the Pierre, the tea at the Pierre is much better (food and tea selection is better and the room is much "prettier") and they are probably comparably priced. Maybe they would enjoy the Planetarium show at the Natural History Museum. If so, Cafe Lalo nearby on Amsterdam & 83rd is another cute cafe. They may be too old, but a walk through FAO Schwartz is always interesting with kids. I've seen big lines there, though. A carriage ride through Central Park would be fun (weather permitting) but it could be pricey. I know you can see a movie anywhere but it might be fun to see one at a big busy NYC movie theater. Circle Line tour is popular but if they are really active, they might get bored being on the boat for 3 hours. Dylan's candy store is a good rec, as is Sephora if they want to play around with makeup and they have cheap lip glosses and hair clips that might be appropriate for young girls -- a Dept store like Bloomingdales might be too uptight. There are many sephora locations all around town.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:24 AM

You've gotten great info. What about a show? Thoroughly Modern Millie or Hairspray? Or something off Braodway like Blue Man Group.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM

The Plaza Hotel.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM

11 I think is a little too young for makeup, but there are so many things for kids your daughter's age to see and do.

The Museum of Natural History is a great choice, and the IMAX theatre there should be a big hit. Alto the Planetarium attached to the museum is great.

ABC carpet also has a cute tea that they may like and then you can head down to the village for siteseeing.

They would probably love the South St Seaport and a ride on the Staten Island Ferry at dusk so you can see the lights of the city come up and a nice view of the Statue of Liberty.

There is a memorial to the World Trade Center down at Battery Park, not far from the Ferry terminal.

Lots of shopping everwhere in the city, H&M would probably be a good choice and of course Macy's

Depending on when you are going to be here, there is a wonderful garden display at Macy's around Easter that the girls will love, inside the store and all the windows on Broadway.

Next door to Macy's on Broadway and 35th St, Conway. It is a good store for inexpensive clothing and it's geared for younger girls, $5 tee shirts and $7 jeans. Even some designer stuff discounted.

They might also like Daffy's across the street at Broadway and 33rd.

Hope this helps and have a great time while you are here.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Tess

Since I'm the one who originally suggested makeup I think I need to clarify my comments...yes, 11 is too young to wear makeup but 11 is the perfect age to play with makeup. My 11 year old daughter and her friends should have stock in Bath and Body Works judging by their rooms...roll on body glitter, tons and tons and tons of lip gloss, eye glitter...you name it. It's mostly trotted out at sleepovers and partie--very innocent. We're not talking waltzing around town with green eye shadow, mascara and tons of red blush. Parents of 11 year old girls know what I mean.

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM
JVS

The White lilly tea room (23rd st btwn 9-10th ave)is the japanese tea experience where you can sit on the floor right next to a built in Koi pond. They have fun food, too.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your advice. I will go over the information with my Daughter and come up with a action plan.

Again, thanks

Andytraveler
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:39 AM

ttt