Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

After all, which one is the best: American Airlines, United or Delta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:13 PM
gh

Have to decide - please pick up one - those are my only options. And thanks a lot in advance!
P.S. - it will be long hours flying and, yes, I DID a research in this forum and at the airlines forum, but could not decide yet!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Erica

I like Delta... service is pretty good. But I have not flown them many times. I always fly NW, and their service is awful!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Of course I like Delta too, mainly because I can't get anywhere without them.

I would choose based on price, # of connections and then schedule. The airline would be my last criteria.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Dick

I'm with Brian - there's not a nickel's worth of difference between any of them.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:13 PM
Gary

I flown both American and Delta--both coach and First. Only some on United. On average, I find little-to-no difference between Delta and American. Besides, both tend to be late in their overcrowded hubs. I would assume United is the same. One difference is equipment--American flys a huge number of short-to-midrange connections on MD-80 aircraft, which has only two seats on the left side of coach. United uses more 737s, which are 3-3. Delta has a mixture of 737s, 727s (also 3-3), and MD80s. The seating in larger aircraft is, of course, rather similar for each airline.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:44 PM
lisa

Of those 3, I definitely prefer American. By the way, American has recently reconfigured most of its domestic fleet, taking out some seats to add more space in coach, if that's a consideration.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Felix

I agree there is not much difference. Although, the safety record for the MD80's is dismal. They have been plagued by numerous mechanical problems and have been involved in numerous crashes. I will not fly an MD80.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Wingless

The difference in minimal, except if you have strong feelings about where you sit. Do be aware that you can't get a seat on or in front of the wing on United unless you are qualified for their special Economy+ class (high FF miles).

But you don't say where you are going? Is this an international or domestic flight?