African American is lonely at tourist attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up as one of the few African Americans in a small town in Iowa. Because of my small town Midwestern roots I grew up experiencing many activities that are uncommon for many other African Americans.

When I was growing up we did alot of traveling. We visited museums, National Parks, Historical Sites and Cultural and Community Festivals. In most cases we were the only African American in the place. But that was all I ever knew, so did not think much about it.

Now that I am in my late 20s and now live in a community with a large African American population I am use to seeing people like me everyday. That is until I go to places from my youth with my twin sons. Last summer I drove out west and toured 7 different National Parks. I was impressed with the ethnic diversity at the Parks. In fact at Yellowstone it seemed like the majority of the travelers were from outside America. THOUGH WE DID NOT SEE ANOTHER AFRICAN AMERICAN IN THE PARK. This was also the case at other National Parks, community festivals, historic parks and other places of interest. Why?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM

My husband is chicano and he often comments about the lack of "brown folk" - meaning latinos and blacks - at a lot of the places we go. We do a lot of outdoors stuff and there are generally a lot of different people out and about, but blacks and latinos are definitely underrepresented. We have noticed that on urban vacations and at amusement parks and popular beaches, there are more blacks and latinos though.

I have no idea what the reason, but we have noticed this too.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM

(I still think you you skip Branson!!!!)

With the greatest of respect for you AS an African American, is it possible that this lack of A-A's when you've visited the national parks has to do with economics?
priorities?
upbringing?

Is there some reason African Americans wouldn't be interested in traveling to national parks?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

I do not believe the economic argument because there are many very well off African Americans in my community. Sure in total there is more poverty in our community but there is a huge middle class community of African Americans.

I just think it is a shame that more of us to do not visit National Parks, cultural events, museums, and historical attractions. By avoiding these things we miss out on life.

Another thing I notice few brown skinned people (including Hispanics who come from an Indian background) is on cruise ships. I recently cruised on Princess and there were just a handful of African Americans or people speaking Spanish on the boat.

Maybe it is like Hockey and Baseball, just a cultural thing.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM

Hi,
I am not an African American tourist but I would highly recommend continuing to travel with your family to places you remember fondly as a child and share them with your children. Maybe, you could arrange to travel with other African American friends or relatives. I don't know the answer to your question. Your parents did it with you and you will do it with your kids and they will probably do it with their kids! We have so many great family memories from traveling together to many great parks, historical sites and museums.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM
TheWeasel

I think you'd find a different experience at some of the national parks in the South.

Dukey probably has it about right. If, statistically speaking, African Americans have less money they're less likely to travel great distances. I also think that people who grow up in urban areas aren't as interested in national parks as someone who grew up in a rural area, so that probably has something to do with it. Add this up for a few generations and no matter the race, people would probably not even consider a national park as a destination.

I bet if you asked around in your community you'd get some interesting answers.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM

I have often wondered if people of color may not feel as welcome at some places because there seem to be more white folks around than anyone else.

Disney comes to mind. We have been to WDW and Disneyland way more than once. I don't remember seeing a lot of Blacks in attendance but perhaps oi wans't paying attention. Surely Black children, for example, are as enchanted with Disney characters as other children..or are they? Mickey Mouse IS definitely white.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
JJ5

Ironically, when I go to Starved Rock or any of the National parks or Woodlands in IL, IN, MI- those three states especially, I have always found American-Americans galore, and especially fishermen and fisherwomen.

In fact, at every place I have had help getting fishing instruction or locations from an African-American expert and learned quite a few things I did NOT know about cooking them too. And I have sold chittlins in my life, so that's saying something.

If this is true, it has to be because of money and distant. To tell you the truth, I know a lot of Chicago Southsiders of the lowest Middle Class socio-economically speaking that are not Hispanic nor African-American but are Asian or Caucasian that have never been nor plan to go to National Parks in the West either. No time, money, or much interest, IMHO.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

I was thinking about the economic aspect of things. I am white and my family didn't have much money growing up - so almost all of our vacations were camping vacations. We didn't do a lot of national parks, but we did a lot of camping in national forest campgrounds, state parks, and so forth. But then, our family comes from a largely rural background and camping is something that is very common. It seems that city people, regardless of ethnicity are less likely to camp than rural people.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
HKP

Just throwing out a couple of ideas:

1. Sometimes wanderlust has to do with what one considers ancestral homeland -- hence a lot of "non-minority" (=?white or ?Caucasian or ?WASP - we're rapidly becoming not the majority anymore) Americans look to parts of Europe, either because they're descended from Irish, English, Italians,Germans, Lithuanians, or whatever; or because most of the history and culture studied in school is Western, i.e., European. I daresay, especially after "Roots" and the consciousness-raising of the 60s, a lot of African-Americans spent their tourist money on Africa rather than on the US (whose history wasn't all that friendly) or Europe (little connection).

2. Economics are part of it, and when you factor in several generations whose vacation money was limited to local beaches or parks, there's little opportunity to set up a taste or tradition for going to National Parks.

3. A lot of populations spend their leisure time and money hanging out with family rather than wandering. My experience and observation is that "non-minority" groups, especially the young ones with lots of extra money, are in a hurry NOT to spend all that much time with "the clan" but to go to ever-new, ever-more-exotic places.

It comes back to haunt us, though: I shared my love of travel with my son, who now travels whenever he can and rarely comes home.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM

I think a lot of this is habit, upbringing and what you're used to. I was raised in/near NYC and my parents vacationed every summer by renting a small cottage on Long Island. We also took (a few - they had little money) road trips to DC, Boston, Montreal, Lake George, Toronto etc. They never took any vacations out west (due to time/money constraints) and never did any camping/hiking etc.

And I must admit I'm much the same - essentially a city person. Now - I've traveled all over the US, europe, part of North Africa etc - but what interests me is cities, museums - and an occassinal beach resort. I suppose I might go to one of the major national parks out west - but haven't yet - although my parents did, but only on long road trips after they retired. And definitely in hotels - not camping or roughing it in any way.

So - if you're talking about groups that live mostly in cities - I can understand gravitating towards specific city - or beach type vacations.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

Hi Bunch!

This is right up there with "Why Are There No Black People Out West" you asked a couple of years ago.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM

Dukey:
You bring up an excellent thought - perhaps African American children are not , or their parents are not, as enamored with Disney....it appears Disney thinks they have a problem in not reaching out more -

Disney is coming out with the first movie with an African American princess as the heroine, Maddy -
a blurb from a newspaper:

"Disney is rolling out its first black princess in a new big-budget animated feature set for release in 2009 - the latest in many attempts by the company to prove its multicultural bona fides and ward off the spectre of racism that has lurked since its heyday in the 1940s and 1950s."

you can google the topic, lots of interesting articles as to the why/how/children relating to characters,e tc.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM

Disney is filming in New Orleans, to show solidarity for that area post Katrina -

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/f...cle2344777.ece
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I live in CA w/ lots of state and national parks w/i a few hours drive. In general (there are a couple of exceptions) most of my AA friends do not camp, or hike that sort of thing and really don't do as many outdoorsy things. They do boat/fish, etc. and a few do have mountain bikes.

but in general most prefer theme parks over camping trips, Las vegas over skiing, SF/LA over Carmel/Monterey.

It really isn't budget related - I'm talking about middle class and very upper middle class professional families.

In my hometown lots of AAs do frequent many of the art galleries, nearby wineries and so on - but not as many go to the art/history museums.

Just different experiences/likes
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW - I don't see a dislike of Disney among my AA friends. Most have been to DL a few or many times (2 got their first jobs at DL when going to college) and all of the ones w/ kids seem to have full libraries of disney dvd's.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM

I wonder who is this poster "thedingler" and why is it when you click on his/her name and see the list of his/her posts, the picture is really disturbing.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

maybe its because african american people make up less than 15% of the population in the United States, so statistically you are actually seeing less...
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM

Faina,

I am sure this person is trying to have an honest dialogue with others.

I don't find the post list particularly disturbing but, of course, I can only speak for myself.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM

I don't know why, but I did notice on one of our vacations to Colorado that the only African American male or female I saw the entire trip was in Vail (he was empying a public trash can).

I had a friend at my gym and I asked him if he ever went skiing and he laughed at me and said, "yeah, right, a black man skiing". I suspect it has something to do with this kind of attitude. (This guy was very athletic and went to college near the Poconos, so would have had ample opportunity to try the sport).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -