Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Afraid to Fly and Hate to Drive -- How to get from Connecticut to Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ascared

The way I see it my choices are 2: AMTRAK or GREYHOUND. There are pros and cons to each. What are some of the advantages and/or disadvantages?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
Tricia

I'd definitely choose the train over the bus!
I took a train from upstate NY to Orlando, FL once. It wasn't bad, you can at least recline, get up and walk around, eat & drink.
They have sleeping cars available on a train also.
Check the difference in price and time. Good luck.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
John

Both Amtrak and Greyhound have very easy to navigate web sites where you can explore schedules and fares. In general, you'll find that the train is considerably quicker and infinitely more comfortable, but the bus is cheaper. I got a sleeping compartment for an overnight trip on one of the trains out West and it was quite nice, but it is a good bit more money than just getting a coach seat. Comparing apples to apples (i.e., train without bedroom), the bus is approximately half the cost but my choice would be the train unless cost is a big, big factor.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
rider

I took a Greyhound bus for 100 miles in FL and it was a nightmare (the type of people that ride it and the antics that go on); I couldn't imgaine riding the east coast. Take the train, you can get it from New Haven/Bpt/probably Stamford, take it down to DC and then probably switch to the auto train down to Orlando.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Carol

I'm also deathly afraid to fly, but Conneticutt to Florida ... you will be there before you know it if you fly. Greyhound will take forever. My recommendation (seriously) ... get a prescription for an antianxiety med, and get on the plane ... you will be there before you know it.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:52 AM
Rachael

I would take the train . . .you can get on the train at many places in CT depending where you live and then connect to the train that will take you to FL in NYC. I would recommend getting a sleeping compartment for the trip from NY to FL, as it's an awfully long trip to have to sit up or even recline for the entire night in coach. I have made several overnight trips on the train- 3 in sleeping cars and one in coach and I wouldn't recommend coach overnight unless cost is a major concern. Go to www.amtrak.com and they will give you schedules etc.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
Owen O'Neill

The only advantage to the bus is lower cost. If you've ever taken a long bus trip you'll definitely want to take the train. When I was much younger and and on a very limited budget, I took the bus from NYC to Phoenix AZ... 66 hours of hell!!! Take the train and take the advice to get a sleeper despite the added cost. I have taken the overnight train from NYC to Chicago a few times and regretted not getting a sleeper. the sleeper includes meals and the food is surprisingly good - not haute cuisine but not like airplane meals - this is real food and generous portions. The train is a relaxing and pleasant way to travel if one has time to spare.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:12 PM
Faina

If anybody wants to use Amtrak I want to say this: first of all check their sales, I believe now they have 30% off sale. Sometimes they have "friend rides free". And don't forget to check their internet sale page - it's not the same as sales/savings page, you can get up to 70% off just for buying on-line!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
Abc

Why not DRIVE!?!!!!! That way if you want to stop for an overnight or look at sights you can. I would hate being cooped up with all those strange people for hours on end on the bus or train!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
anon

Try walking....

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Susan

Ascared-

Stay home then!

Trains can derail and Greyhound drivers can be intoxicated!!