Reload this Page >

Affordable hotel in San Fran?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 08:33 AM
Ariela

I'm going to San Fran for Thanksgiving. Anybody have some good ideas for affordable, pleasant hotels near Union Square? Thanks!

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:21 AM
sheri

I stayed at the Monticello Inn a couple years ago and liked it quite well--close to Union Square, nice furnishings, friendly and helpful staff. I believe it cost about $125/night (although that was a few years ago).

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 08:57 PM
Anna

It's been two years, but we stayed at the Fitzgerald Hotel about 2 blocks from Union Square at 620 Post Street. The rooms were nice and the staff was friendly. There was valet parking available behind the hotel for a fee. Here is a link to a website with some information on the hotel: http://www.fitzgeraldhotel.com/

Another hotel on the same block as the Fitzgerald is the Andrews Hotel at 624 Post Street. Here are some links to some sites with descriptions: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...rewshotel.html
http://www2.travelguides.com/inns/full/CA/7897.html
Both hotels should be around $100 per night(more or less). Avoid the Hotel Dakota on the same block, it was described as European with antique baths, it was more like garage sale with old bathrooms and dingey hallways, but maybe things have changed. I hope this helps, maybe locals or those who have stayed at either of these hotel recently could give you more feedback.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 10:56 AM
kim

I had good luck booking online through http://www.hotelres.com/sfr/ . I stayed at the Grant Plaza Hotel, right at the gates of Chinatown, which was only a 5-10 minute walk to Union Sq. The hotel was very basic, rooms were small, but it was clean and less than a $100 per night. The next block down (on the way to Union Sq) was a French bistro where we bought coffee and pastries every morning!

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 12:22 PM
Paul

The Commodore on Sutter was always a good bargain. It isn't the Ritz, but it's clean and has a certain character to it.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 12:32 PM
kam

If you don't mind sharing immaculately kept bathrooms, and don't need a TV, the San Remo in North Beach is a wonderful little hotel in a good neighborhood. Lots of little restaurants in walking distance and the cable car is right there too. Be advised that SF is always very very crowded on Thanksgiving weekend. You need to make reservations immediately. Go to the San Remo's web site for more info. Have a good time but do plan ahead with dinner reservations as well as the Alcatraz tour if you wanted to do that.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 12:32 PM
kam

If you don't mind sharing immaculately kept bathrooms, and don't need a TV, the San Remo in North Beach is a wonderful little hotel in a good neighborhood. Lots of little restaurants in walking distance and the cable car is right there too. Be advised that SF is always very very crowded on Thanksgiving weekend. You need to make reservations immediately. Go to the San Remo's web site for more info. Have a good time but do plan ahead with dinner reservations as well as the Alcatraz tour if you wanted to do that.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 03:49 PM
arjay

We very much enjoyed the Chancellor in spring/98. It's right on Union Square - an older property, but very, very nicely kept. They were running a $99 in '99 special...maybe you can glom onto that. Hope you have a wonderful T'giving in a neat town!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Ariela

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 11:13 AM
Ruth

I also stayed at the Chancellor a few years back and it was just fine and in a great location. Rooms were small but more than adequate.

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 11:39 AM
Ann

We stayed at the Andrews a year ago. It was only $99/night. I've also seen their advertisements in the New Yorker for $89 if you quote the ad. The rooms are small & the bathrooms smaller but it's centrally located right off Union Square, they serve continental b'fast on each floor, it's quaint, the desk clerks are helpful. I would stay there again. Have fun! SF is the best city in the world!

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 04:56 PM
Sean

I researched this very topic, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. A lot of the hotels are running specials starting on 11/21 due to low business travel demand -- for instance the Fairmont's lowest rate in $129 (you can't get a better value), the Hyatt is running $159. I'm sure others are doing this as well. The hotel's web sites are the best resource on this.