Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

advise and feedback about my route appreciated

Oct 3rd, 2019, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Please advise and give feedback on our planned route.

Suggested route for December 2019

December 25th
land at Las Vegas airport 7:00pm

get rental car from Budget at airport

hotel in Las Vegas near airport for the night.

26th THURSDAY

early start Las Vegas to Springdale

stopping for gas, snacks and water for trip and any recommended stops on the way

27th all day in Zion

any must do items in Zion during December

28th check out hotel and head to Bryce

any advice

staying in Bryce at Best Western from 28th to 31st.

any suggestions

leaving on the 31st and heading to Page (overnight)

looking for suggested route and stops to break up the drive

food and sites

Once in Page we will view Horseshoe Bend and book at tour for lower Antelope Canyon

I believe we can only do the Antelope tour on the 31st due to being closed on the 1st

1st

horseshoe bend overlook then drive to Bright Angel Lodge GC

suggested route, stops, meals etc.

2nd

all day at GC South Rim

advise please

3rd

drive to Hoover Dam

then to Las Vegas airport to drop off rental car and flight at 8pm

Oct 3rd, 2019, 04:18 AM

You will need to be flexible with your plan as you could encounter snow along your route in December. We've had trips in December where it was clear and pleasant all week, but other times there has been snow. In any case, try to do your driving during the daylight hours, both because the views are spectacular and because large animals cross the roads and might spoil the whole trip.

The time you have staying at Bryce seems to be a couple of days too long, unless you are equipped to hike in snow/ice. Bryce is very high in elevation and often has snow at that time of year. In any case two nights there would be plenty for me.

I would add that day to either Zion, Grand Canyon or do some other parks, like Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, etc.
Oct 3rd, 2019, 06:57 AM
J62

Not much to add to the above advice.

1st night upon arrival in Vegas, consider staying at a hotel along I-15 just on the north side of the city instead of near the airport. It'll likely save you both $$ and time the next morning.

To get supplies enroute to Zion there is a Walmart super center and at least one or 2 other supermarkets in the town of Hurricane UT right along your route. I think I've also stopped in the Davis in La Verkin, just past Hurricane UT. There is a smaller market in Springdale that will have plenty of supplies if you forgot something but not as broad a selection as the bigger stores in St. George or Hurricane.
Oct 3rd, 2019, 07:57 AM

You could visit Valley of Fire on the drive from Vegas to Springdale. I might shift one of those Bryce nights elsewhere unless you're interested in winter activities. If it's icy, I'd want hiking poles and traction devices for hiking down into Bryce Canyon. You could drive Hwy 12 to see sights in Grand Staircase Escalante if the weather is clear but you'll need to be flexible about what's possible and check the conditions of any side roads.

On your way from Bryce to Page, you could stop in the town of Kanab and maybe hike at the Toadstools (Paria Rimrocks) off of 89. The trail head is about half an hour before you reach Page.
Oct 3rd, 2019, 07:19 PM

Agree that is too many days in Bryce--if the snow is good, you can have a great time cross country skiing there or snowshoeing. You could do a day trip from Bryce to Escalante and hike the Calf Creek Trail--nice and flat with pretty views or the Petrified Forest State Park in Escalante. Also, try hiking in Red Canyon near Bryce. Ditto on the not driving after dark. Remember that it will get dark around 5pm at that time of year. Be on the lookout for Open Range signs--that means cattle are on the roads and you are responsible for reimbursing the rancher if you hit one. (which also totals the car). Not something to deal with at night.

Check out the www.nps.gov website and look for the page for each National Park--lots of good info, especially on what is open/closed at that time of year. The websites give you great advice on trails to hike, sites to see, etc. And the park newspaper (which is online) will give you the times of any ranger talks or walks etc. It's a great resource.
Oct 3rd, 2019, 09:54 PM

Stay close to 15 for faster route out of town.......how about Monument Valley.......if you get close to Highway 160 at Kayenta,Az stop at the Burger King that houses the "Navajo Windtalker Museum......
Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:22 PM

How about maybe the Golden Nugget downtown........exit 76 off I-515......it is a 4 Diamond AAA hotel.....prices looked good...rates well on Tripadvisor.....Freemont Experience downtown is something to see....try trivago.com - Compare hotel prices worldwide for price comparisons
Oct 8th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Oct 8th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

I will check out all of your suggestions. Any suggestions were to rent snow shoes in Bryce
Oct 8th, 2019, 05:58 AM

Ruby's Inn rents snow shoes and cross country skis if there is enough snow.
Oct 9th, 2019, 05:16 PM

Bryce Canyon Pines Restaurant, north and west of Ruby's, is a good option for a meal or two. Great pies, too!
Oct 12th, 2019, 10:32 AM

In the summer this area is filled with unexpected time changes but I think in December all of Utah and Arizona are in the same time zone.
Oct 13th, 2019, 01:03 PM

If the park lodges are open at Zion and Bruce I would stay in them.
Oct 14th, 2019, 01:49 PM

Zion is going to run their mandatory shuttle during Dec 22-31.

Shuttle buses will be departing the national park Visitor Center beginning at 8:00 a.m. heading up canyon to designated trail head stops with the last bus returning from the Temple of Sinawava (Stop 9) at 5:44 p.m. Shuttles will be running every 10 minutes during peak hours. The in-town, Springdale shuttle services will run 8:10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Shuttles in town will be running every 15 minutes.

Be sure to check on the park website for Bryce during snow season.