Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Advice on these resorts: Kauai Marriott, Renaissance Wailea & Marriott (Outrigger) Wailea

Search

Advice on these resorts: Kauai Marriott, Renaissance Wailea & Marriott (Outrigger) Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm going to Hawaii for 7 nights in October. Marriott is running a special point-saver deal where you can divide seven nights accomodations among 3 of their Hawaiian resorts. We have flights that will have us in Mauai for 5 nights and Kauai for 2 Nights. With that in mind.. I'm leaning toward this lodging decision:

5 nights at Renaissance Wailea and 2 Nights at the Kauai Marriott. Our entire stay would be free by using points. Is this a good option?

Should we consider the Marriott Wailea (Outrigger) instead?

Even though we only have one Marriott option on Kauai... Any info on the Kauai Marriott would help. If the place is a dump.... I'd consider paying to stay at a different place there, like the Princeville or something.

Please help.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:04 PM

The Kauai Marriott is not a dump, it is a really great resort. Huge pool, beautiful grounds, located on a scenic bay, lots of dining and shopping nearby.

The Outrigger/Marriott Wailea is about a block from the Renaissance Wailea; I prefer the Outrigger becuase of the sprawling grounds and tropical ambiance. The one drawback is that the coast is rocky at the Outrigger and if you want to swim in the ocean you have to walk about 2 minutes to get to a sandy beach.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

vivi: Thanks for the tip.. One more question... Regarding the Renassaince vs. Outrigger Marriott on Wailaea... I'm going without kids... would like pool area to be nice... but also like to walk to beach. Not necc. interested in swimming in Ocean... but like to look at & walk on beach... also, which of the 2 is more "luxurious"? Please respond.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:48 PM

I would say the Renaissance is probably more luxurious than the Outrigger Marriott. However the Outrigger really does have more of tropical feel to it. The public rooms are lovely and low key, the entrance lobby doesnt even have walls.
There are 2 pool areas at the Outrigger, the main area has 2 pools that overlook the ocean.
The other pool section is a mini waterpark for kids plus a regular pool that is usually deserted.

Both hotels are connected by a pathway, there is a beautiful beach in between them. The walking path is over a mile long and connects all five of the Wailea resorts. Great evening entertainment to stroll and watch luaus
along the way! (You may need a flashlight for part of it!)

You can't go wrong with any of the Wailea hotels.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:14 AM

Kauai Marriott is nice, it's just on a bay instead of the wide ocean. The pool area is beautiful.

The Outrigger has a great spot. We have a child and were kind enough to let the adults have the quiet luxury pool while we stayed in the play area. They are very far apart.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:18 AM
iceeu2

We stayed at the Kauai Marriott on points in March. Beautiful resort, beautiful pool, crawl back home from cocktails at Duke's and walk back from breakfast at the Kalapaki Beach Hut.

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Just returned from a two week stay in Wailea (Grand Wailea). We visited and ate at both the Renaissance and teh Outrigger several times during our stay. The Ren is a more posh place but it has a very small pool area. As the others stated the Outrigger has a a larger pool area that overlooks the ocean but no beach in front of it. You have to walk over to the next resort (a short walk on a shoreline path). I would really recommend the Hula Moons restaurant at the Outrigger and the Japanese restaurant at the Ren. Both were outstanding.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:50 AM

I only ate and drank at Duke's Canoe Club in the Marriott but it was great, and from what I could see the hotel was fantastic. Beautiful place and it is centrally located on the island.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Okay, it has been awhile, but the Marriott has a beautiful spot on the water but it is isolated from many other properties as it is in Lihue(I believe) proper. Good restaurant. The Outrigger has been redone since we were there and I guess is now nicer than before...the Renaissance is very nice, good restaurant at the pool and you have 5 crescent beaches to walk to and are surrounded by nice properties.