Kauai - Marriott Resort & Beach Club vs. Marriott Beach Club

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at both. What are the pros and cons. Are there better recommendations. We are an active family of four (two teens). Regards
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM

They are one and the same. Marriott converted part of the resort into timeshares. If you stay in a timeshare, it is called Kauai Beach Club. If you are staying in a regular room, it is called the Marriott Resort.

I stayed in the timeshare portion of the resort in 2002 with my family & in-laws.

Advantages:

If you have kids, it is nice to get a 1-br or 2-BR villa in the timeshare portion. A 2-BR villa is about 1100 sq. ft and considerably less expensive than 2 individual rooms.

Marriott is running specials at this resort. 5th night free. Or, as a Marriott Rewards member using rate code M11, you can get a good rate.

The pool and hot tubs are great. The poolside snack bar is fine if you are staying by the pool and want a quick snack or lunch.

The grounds and common areas are stunnning.

Negatives:

We paid for an oceanview room and all we could see were palm trees and the lobby roof. When I complained, the clerk said that timeshare owners were given preference. That really irritated me because 1) I paid extra for oceanview and 2) I am a Marriott Rewards Silver member. The manager agreed to give us a reduced rate because no other villas were available.

The rooms smelled musty. I wrote a letter to Marriott HQ complainig about the room location and smell. The hotel manager responded saying the rooms were being updated. I recently read some reports, poosibly on tripadvisor, where people still complained of a musty smell.

The breakfast buffet was ok, but not nealry as good as other Marriott resorts in Hawaii. I would rate the Maui Marriott breakfast as an 8-9 out of 10. The Kauai Marriott I would rate as a 5-6 at best.

I was not fond of the beach. The beach is on a tiny bay. The water, IMO, is too calm. The water is very murky, probably due to the fine sand they must have trucked in to make the beach. The beach also shares the bay with a port, so you'll see ships coming in & out.

The resort is very close to Lihue airport, so you'll frequently hear jets taking off & landing.

Others have raved about Duke's Canoe Club, the restaurant attached to the hotel. I found it to be very mediocre. The food was so-so. We had to wait forever for a table. The service was poor.

We are going back to Kauai in July. This time, we will be staying at the Marriott Waiohai. It is a Marriott timeshare and is only about 3 years old. In 2002, they were building it.
It is in a great location, right on Poipu beach. The reviews I've read so far have mostly been very positive. There are several good restaurants close by. The Beach House is a must. The food is good and the views of the sunset are among the best I've ever seen. Roy's is also close by. No views, but the food is terrific. The only downsides I've seen for the Waiohai Marriott is that they do not have valet parking and, right now at least, Marriott is not running any specials at this resort. We got a 2-BR oceanview villa for $589/night. We will be splitting the cost with my in-laws, so it's not that bad. I don't think the Waiohai has any regular rooms that accommodate 4 people. It was built from scratch as a timeshare whereas the other Marriott was converted from hotel rooms into timeshares.

Checkout these sites for better detailes on the two resorts:

www.vacationclub.com

www.marriott-timeshare.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM

Marriott Waiohai...Better beach for your teens and much more true to Kauai...the others are very touristy and the beaches aren't the greatest to surf and forget snorkeling...