COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Advice on these DC Hotels

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Advice on these DC Hotels

We are making very last minute plans to go to DC. We will be flying into Wash?Regan. Haven't stayed there before, and would like to find a decent hotel in a great location for sightseeing.Our priorities are, good walking neighborhood and very close to Metro so we can get to all the attractions easily. Since it's so last minute some of the reccomended spots are unavailable.
Under $250 per night would be nice, too.
Is that possible in DC?
I have looked at --The Grand Hyatt, Marriot Residence Inn, Embassy suites in Chevy Chase, the Churchill, and Sheraton Four Points on Dupont Circle.All in the $250--$275 range. How are those neighborhoods? Is one much better that another?
Would we be able to walk around in the evening safely? A qiuck response would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 03:54 AM

I live in Virginia and am partial to VA. I use to work in Old Town Alexandria (right cross from the Duke Street metro station). Right next to my office was a very nice Embassy Suites hotel. In fact we always put out of town visitors up there. Check them for availability and prices. If it fits your budget, you can't beat the location - right across from the metro and only 2 stops south of Washington National airport. Not only that, it's across the street from the George Washington Masonic Temple (something you might like to visit) and has easy access to Old Town Alexandria.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:13 AM

The ES in Chevy Chase is literally on top of the Friendship Heights station. It was SO nice to get home from a day of trekking around the city, and only have to go up a couple of escalators.

Furthermore, it's part of a big shopping mall, plenty of choices for shopping and dining in the mall and surrounding area. I personally have no problems with walking home on the street from the Metro to a hotel, but I guess nothing could be safer than being inside a mall.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:20 AM

The Marriot Residence Inn meets your stated priorities:

<<good walking neighborhood>> Actually in the BEST walking area, IMHO.

<<very close to Metro>> 2 blocks to the Dupont station.

Finally, I would add it is on a block with a high concentration of some of the best (though not too expensive) restaurants in DC.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:20 AM

There are two Residence Inns. The one in DuPont Circle is ideal, the one on Vermont Ave a little less attractive.

There is no Four Points Sheraton at DuPont Circle. The Four Points is at like 13th and K, which is not as good--albeit fine--neighborhood.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:26 AM

Are you open to B&B's? We just returned from DC. We stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House. It is beautiful and reasonable. Less than 500 feet from the Metro stop. The neighborhood was safe and has many resturants within walking distance. It is only 2 block from the Zoo. Woodley Park Guest House is also a Fodo'r choice.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM

We took the kids to DC in early June and stayed at a place called the Virginian Suites in Rosslyn, VA, just across the river. It is about a block from the Iwo Jima memorial. (I can't tell you how moving it is to see that lit up at night, up close.) The hotel is about a quarter mile from the Rosslyn Metro station, which is right between the airport and the major sights. Mon-Fri the hotel has a bus that runs back and forth to the station. On the weekends you are on your own, but it was an easy walk. Kind of a financial district (good restaurants) by the Metro station - pretty residential and quiet by the hotel. I got them to match a rate I saw on Travelocity, $149 for a one bedroom suite (2 dbl beds) with living room (sleeper sofa), dining room, kitchen. They also serve a full breakfast (but you have to ask at the front desk for the coupons that get you into the private dining area). It was not the Ritz, but is was very convenient, servicable and met our needs perfectly! http://www.virginiansuites.com
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM
jtp

I stay at the Grand Hyatt when I am coming to town for the sights- taking my niece, and a few times, when I have traveled with elderly parents.
The hotel is beautiful, staff professional, and it is on the Metro, making it very, very very easy to get around.
When I am traveling with my husband and it is a mix trip of pleasure and business we stay at the Willard -- again beautiful, outstanding service, great restaurants -- not "as easy" as being on the Metro...