Advice on Tampa Area

Search

Advice on Tampa Area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Tampa Area

I'm visiting Tampa next week and need advice on hotels. I want to be near shopping, bars, etc. in an upbeat environment. I don't know if I should look in Clearwater or more in downtown Tampa or Westshore. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM

I think the most upbeat environment (good criteria!) would be to stay at the Marriot Waterside or the Wyndham Harbour Island, the Ashley Plaza, or other hotels in that vicinity where you'll have the Channelside restaurants within walking distance. The 10-minute trolley to Ybor City stops in front of the hotel so that will put you on the track to the bars (and you'll not have to worry about driving back!). Across the bridge from this part of downtown is 1) Harbor Island with some shops and restaurants, and 2) Davis Islands where there are a lively few blocks with restaurants & outdoor seating, coffee spots, pizza joints, and a few gift shops. You could walk there along the bay if you'd like about a mile walk in beautiful FL winter weather

As for serious shopping, drive to either Westshore Mall or International Plaza.

If you decide you want to be on the beach, the closest beach would probably be St. Pete or Treasure Island. Traffic from Tampa is awful to the other beaches, and it's a haul to Clwr (30 mins.).
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice T_girl, that really helps a lot. I think the Marriott and Wyndham are booked for the days I want to go, but I will check out the Ashley Plaza. Hopefully I find something!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:05 PM

There is also a hotel in Ybor City. And a B&B. Can't remember the names. But this would also put you in the heart of a lively spot, and you can take the trolley from there to Channelside or to the end for a walk on Bayshore.

I hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:58 AM

There is a Hampton and a Hilton in Ybor City.