Reload this Page >

Advice on Santa Rosa, CA

Search

Advice on Santa Rosa, CA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Kevin

Advice on Santa Rosa, CA

What is it like to actually live in Santa Rosa? I have the opportunity to relocate there. Is it safe? Is it like a small town, or a suburb? Are other communities around Santa Rosa better? I would be renting an apartment. Thanks!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Michael

I do not live in Santa Rosa but have lived in the bay area for many years. Santa Rosa is a good basic middle class small town, and safe as anywhere and should have good rentals. Other locations in the area will have more cache (sp!) as the wine country is close by, but they will be much more expensive and will not have as much rental stock. Depending on how long you are willing to commute, you could live in northern Marin County, with more options and towns (you would have a reverse commute from San Rafeal or Novato, both very nice towns with lots of rentals).

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Kevin

Thanks!!! Keep the advice coming!!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Ani

My father lives in Santa Rosa, up in the hills-and it is BEAUTIFUL. Very green, lush-great town.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Pam

What do you need? If you want small town feel I'd say either go North to Healdsburg or south to Petaluma. You could do northern Marin but the commute to Santa Rosa and back from there is nothing but ugly despite the pastoral hills which surround you while in gridlock. Check out the Bennett Valley Road area of Santa Rosa.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:01 AM
gail

There are some areas to avoid in SR, like any other town. Roseland and the Bellevue area should probably be avoided although the market has been so tight in the past years that many of these areas are improving as well. I prefer the surrounding communities, because they have more personality. It depends on what your priorities are. Traffic is a bear on 101 in the morning 7 days a week, so keep that in mind when relocating.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Susan na

Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt" was filmed in SR. It's still got some charming preserved small town areas; Check out the rural areas immediately around it. But my vote would be Healdsburg which is lovely, a nice mix of 1900 and 2000. Don't live too far S of SR because the above poster is right - the commute traffic is VERY bad between approx 0700 - 0930 and 1600 - 1830. I do think you'll like the proximity to the ocean and wineries, etc. Enjoy and much luck!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:54 PM
lila

My friends parents moved to Santa Rosa from Palos Verdes. They love it. It's got a small town atmosphere, they feel safe, and it is somewhat rustic.