Reload this Page >

Advice on hotel in Sonoma or Napa for May visit with family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 11:13 AM
ray

Any recommendation for a hotel in either Napa or Sonoma for a family of four? My kids do not like B&Bs so would like a hotel. Wife would like a spa in the hotel. Right now have reservations at the Fountaingrove hotel in Santa Rosa but wondered about how good it is and its locations to the wineries? Any advice is appreciated.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:24 PM
kam

If wife wants spa--Sonoma Mission Inn but very pricey. In Napa, many spas and mudbaths in the town of Calistoga. Santa Rosa is not really in the wine country--a little too far south. Try Healdsburg or Sonoma or Geyserville. Don't know kids ages, but would they enjoy the balloon rides in the Napa Valley? There's a Marine World south of Napa in Vallejo, but Vallejo itself is not too attractive.Sonoma city was the capital of the "Bear Republic" when California first gained independence from Mexico. It's a bit like an old town and has the famous cheese factory. And, there's Old Faithful in Calistoga. Not meaning to discourage you, but the wine country isn't really great for kids.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:03 PM
gail

Fountain grove is nice, but it is right beside the freeway. K-Mart is across the way. The location is not postcard attractive although the hotel does a nice job of being cool, quiet and classy in the confines.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:38 AM
ray

Thanks for the info, I will check hotels in Sonoma, Geyserville and Healdsburg.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:26 PM
Jennifer

DO not stay in Santa Rosa. This is not
the wine county. For a nice hotel with
it's own spa -try the Villagio Inn. This is a great spot - very central to
the wineries and activities.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:09 PM
nan

If your kids don't like B&B's, I'd recommend the Vintage Inn or Villagio Inn & Spa (they're sister properties, both located in Yountville).

I have been to Sonoma Mission Inn many times and really find it overpriced and overrated (plus, once there, they nickel and dime you, which I hate); my old employer used to give me incentive credit there which I would much rather have had at Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford or Meadowood in St. Helena (both quite pricey but much nicer than SMI).

Santa Rosa is a rather large city, not really considered wine country (though there are wineries nearby).

http://www.vintageestate.com/index.html