Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

whats the difference between santa barbara and monterey

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:17 PM
mtngod

what place would be easier to move to from Colorado santa barbara or monterey, which place is more beutifull? cost for rent? traffic?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:42 PM
Alisa

Very different places. What are you looking for?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:17 PM
surfbum

As the above mentioned, both places are quite different and it depends on what you are looking for. If you're moving from Aspen, then Santa Barbara might be more to your liking. Myself? I prefer Monterey. I find the landscape and setting much more beautiful and interesting. I also prefer being closer to San Francisco than Los Angeles. Los Angeles is a dump! Both places are not cheap; but then, I don't know what you can afford....

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:48 PM
Brent

I'm not at all a surfbum, but I agree with his/her comments.
Weather is MUCH better in SB if warmth is a key, but I don't like LA and I do like SF and there's so much more to do (overall, incl variety of things) in the Bay Area/noerthern California.
SB feels snobbier to me. Monterey is more live and let live.
If weather is a non-factor, I'd choose Monterey. (It is an issue for me so I'd have a tough time choosing).

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:41 PM
bfish

I would love to move from Boulder. I do want warm weather but I also want a really nice place. I lived in Telluride for seven years. I am 28 and do massage and body work but am planning on going to real estate school. I have traveled a lot through Cali, I am confused on where to choose Monterey, Santa Barbara, San Diego, I love warm green mountains...Thanks for the info..

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:31 PM
surfbum

You mentioned liking "warm green mountains." Forget Santa Barbara. Monterey is the place for you. You can also check out Santa Cruz as an option. What's nice about the area is that Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia and the north with its giant redwood forests are within easy reach by automobile. I lived in San Diego for about 10 years. It's OK if you like the beach scene, but forget the "warm green mountains."

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:23 PM
fran

Monterey for sure. Pacific Grove might be worth a look as well (same area). Traffic is heavier than when I grew up there, but still nothing like the SF Bay Area where I live now.