Notices

Advice on California Beaches

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:26 PM
John Callicotte

Advice on California Beaches

My family and I (wife and four kids: 13, 11, 9, and 7) are planning on going to California next spring (early May) and are wondering if anyone has any advice on great beaches for families between L.A. and Monterey. We would like to stay in a condo for four or five days and would love recommendations on those, too. Thanks.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:36 PM
don

Traveling as an adult (no children), I really liked Santa Barbara. But Pismo beach kind of struck me as someplace that would be a really good family beach.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:39 PM
David

I agree with don about Pismo Beach. If you decide to go there, I recommend the Kon Tiki Inn www.kontikiinn.com

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:20 AM
steve

Don't count on swimming at all unless you wear wetsuits or can tolerate cold water

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Francine

Personally I hate Pismo Beach - too many rednecks stirring up sand on the beach. Morro Bay and Cambria are much more pleasant communities on the central coast.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:55 PM
x

I'd avoid Pismo if you plan on swimming. It may be too cold. Go further south; don't go to the central CA beaches.

Try Santa Barbara.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Mar

We stayed in Pismo and the kids loved it. We were lucky enough to be there durng Monarch migration and could walk to the eucalyptus groves to see them. Also the big wide beach is great but little for kids this old to do. Santa Cruz has an amusement park on the beach. Anyone think that might be better? And Monterey has that wonderful aquarium!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Leslie

The water temperature will not be appreciably different between Santa Barbara and Pismo, but there is lots more to do in Santa Barbara, so I'd vote for that over Pismo.

Monarch migration is a winter event on the Monterey peninsula, so don't count on seeing that.

Santa Cruz is north of Monterey so doesn't meet John's specifications. Also, you can check, but the amusement park/boardwalk may not be open in May.

Cambria is lovely but definitely not enough to keep your kids busy for 4 whole days.

Still vote for Santa Barbara, with a day trip to Solvang over the San Marcos Pass.

By the way, we love Monterey/Carmel. Our family especially loved the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites (the suites, not the motel rooms)...but this might be pricier than a condo for your family of 6. Lots to do there, plus day trips to Pt. Lobos Nature Reserve and to Big Sur.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Leslie

By the way, you could also consider the Big Sur Lodge in Big Sur. They have cottages with kitchens that sleep six and a heated pool.