COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best Beach in California

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Best Beach in California

What's the best quiet, beautiful beach in California? We have never been there and are looking for ideas....
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Wow - that's a subjective question. I'd have to say one of the beaches along the Big Sur Coast.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Zuma Beach, Malibu
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Depends....
Big Sur is gorgeous, but chilly since it's in Norcal, more scenic than layout all day.
Santa Barbara has great beaches that aren't too crowded. The Montecito area is beautiful.

I'm from Laguna Beach, so I'm partial to this area. There are a lot of beautiful quiet beaches located in the small coves along the Pacific Coast Hwy in this area. (one off Diamond St comes to mind).

Zuma is a nice beach, but very busy. Although there are some other nice beaches in Malibu that are quieter. I don't remember exactly where, but I know they also had some small coves that were more private..you can see them as you drive along the highway.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:56 PM

there are beautiful beaches overlooked by cliffs near Half Moon Bay. The water is freezing, though, and it's not too often it's hot enough there to lay out. but it's still a lovely, secluded area.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:59 PM

family or just adults?

You want to swim, or just walk the shore/beach?
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:49 AM

My favorite beach is one of the little cove beaches in Laguna Beach. There are a ton of them. If you drive south on Hwy. 1 from Newport Beach you can find a ton of them all the way down the coast past Laguna. Part of the fun for us is just driving down, exploring and picking a spot that looks good to you. What is uncrowded one day could be crowded the next, so I couldn't say for sure which cove to go to. My favorite one varies. Some day there are a bunch of people, other days I'm the only one and I feel like I'm far, far away.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
GP

Hi TiffanyLynn

The California coast is almost 1000 miles long. Most people think all of the beaches are like the ones you find in the southern part of the state. I have spent many years exploring the coast from south of San Diego to north of Smith River. The places that really stick out, in my mind are in northern San Luis Obispo county southern big sur, northern Sonoma, southern Mendocino counties. The lost coast of Humboldt county from the Bear River to Shelter Cove is very nice. Some of the beaches in Redwood National Park in Del Norte County are not too shabby either. Some of the things these beaches have in common are lack of people, very natural settings, rocky outcroppings, cold water, rough surf, and not a lot of sun for tanning. Hope this helps. If I told you where my best beach is, my wife would kill me and I still have beaches to explore.

Have Fun
GP
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:38 PM

The beach at Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Torrey Pines State Beach in San Diego. As dramatic scenery as Northern California beaches without the freezing water!