Advice on Boston to Niagara Falls in 3 days

Jul 13th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Advice on Boston to Niagara Falls in 3 days

Hi, we have a 3 day road trip planned from Boston to Niagara Falls. We leave Boston on a Tuesday morning and plan to drive via Woodstock to Lake George for our 1st nights stay. From Lake George we then drive to Geneva NY for a further night's stay. On the 3rd day we intend to have a picnic lunch at Letchworth State Park and then drive to our hotel in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side.
I appreciate the schedule is tight and we have already booked our hotels, however I would appreciate some advice on the following br /> 1. What is the best scenic route via Woodstock to Lake George.
2. Any recommendations for a couple of hours in Woodstock for lunch and a walk?
3. Best scenic route from Lake George to Geneva to arrive in Geneva by 4pm approx?
4. How long should we allow for driving from Letchworth State Park to Niagara?
5. Best route across the Border into Canada?

Many thanks in advance for any help on the above.
Jul 13th, 2019, 03:53 PM
J62

From LG to Geneva, I would (and do) take this route. (on a Wednesday). I'm assuming this is in summer.

From LG, I87S to Exit 15/Saratoga. You'll pass through downtown Saratoga - stop for a browse, or coffee/breakfast if you wish, or walk by the track to see the horses training, but avoid the area near the track from about 11am onwards. Or if you leave LG by 8 or so you'd have time to take a free tour of the track back stretch/barn area. Very interesting if you have any interest in horses. Last tour leaves at 9.
https://www.saratogaracetrack.com/tours/

From Saratoga, take Rt 29 West towards Johnstown & pick up the Thruway (I90) either at Amsterdam or Little Falls. The former if you're in more of a hurry.
You can take the Thruway all the way to close to Geneva, or cut south by Syracuse to stop by several of the other finger lakes.

What are your plans at LG? There is a lot to do there, ranging from honkey tonk boardwalk type arcades & gift shops & mini-golf & fried/fast food (basically everything in LG village), to more peaceful places the further north you go on the lake. I love the lake, I don't like LG village.

Last edited by J62; Jul 13th, 2019 at 03:55 PM.
Jul 14th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for advise, we have only 1 night at Lake George so will probably just relax near the lake, walk around the village and shops and have a meal at night. Any suggestions for good medium priced restaurants?
Jul 14th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Keep in mind that Woodstock is a community that is not the famous concert site...Bethel, NY is the location of the Woodstock Concert Museum and location. .the best, most scenic route from Lake George is to pick up NY RT20 W near Albany.. this route travels through beautiful towns and places across the top of the Finger Lakes and has been designated "Scenic Highways of America ".
The route takes you right to Geneva and continues on to the entrance of Letchworth State park..
You can also use Rt20 to continue west to East Aurora and use Rt 400 north to Niagara.

Letchworth to Niagara is 3 to 4 hours and use the Rainbow Bridge to Canada...
Jul 14th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, yes was aware its a different Woodstock. What route would u suggest from Boston to Woodstock and then Woodstock to Lake George?
TIA
Jul 14th, 2019, 02:27 PM
J62

Picking up Rt20 at Albany is a waste of time and miles for a whole lotta nothing. If you want to take the Rt20 you can pick it up south of Syracuse (my original suggestion), or somewhere further east - Exit the Thruway and drop south from exits at Utica, Herkimer, or Canajoharie.
Jul 15th, 2019, 04:32 PM

That first day is a lot of driving from Boston to Woodstock to Lake George... you won't have any time to see anything... consider Woodstock on the way home...