Advice needed on Boston and/or Matha's Vineyard in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting New York City in July to meet our adult son and daughter for about 5 days, including a weekend. We have been to NYC before, and would like to all get out of town for about 3 days to spend quality time together. We would just like to loiter around scenic places and enjoy good food; not much into museums or history.

Thinking of making a trip to Boston from NYC (we have never been to Boston). We could drive down or fly over on a Friday morning, and return on either Sunday night or Monday morning. Can consider doing a day trip from Boston to Martha's Vineyard. Would like to see the Cambridge area of Boston, and stroll through Harvard and MIT, among other things. Would like suggestions on whether this is a good idea, and what things to do in Boston for 2-3 days. Is day-trip to Martha's Vineyard possible and advisable ?

Look forward to your assistance.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM

Possible Boston itinerary for two days if you don't like museums/history:

One day: start on Newbury Street at Mass Avenue, strolling its length to window shop, then at its other end, cut through the Public Gardens. Head next to nearby Charles Street in Beacon Hill to look into the antiques shops. Then do a partial Freedom Trail walk starting at the Boston Common going as far as the North End. Yes, there's certainly history here, but you'll also go through shopping/strolling areas like the Quincy Market area and the North End.

Another day: Cambridge/Harvard Square. I'd also consider visiting Chinatown this day, maybe in the later afternoon or early evening.

I'm not sure you'll get a lot out of a day trip from Boston to Martha's Vineyard and back -- it's a really long day, and you'll be limited as to how much of the island you can explore. I'd save this for when you can spend a couple days there -- same goes for Nantucket.

If you're looking for a day trip from Boston to something in Cape Cod, consider taking the ferry to Provincetown and back. Assuming the water isn't really rough, the trip over and back is pleasant, and you'll have a good chunk of the day to see P-town.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bachslunch for some excellent suggestions. Just what I was looking for. Few questions - would you recommend taking a harbor cruise in Boston ? Anything else interesting at the waterfront ? What about the Boston Public Library or the Mapparium - worth visiting ?

What would be a good area for budget accommodation - around $ 125-150 per night per room ?
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM
yk

With only 3 days in Boston, which you haven't been to before, I'd advise against going to MV. It's a L-O-N-G day trip and the logistics are complicated, since all the ferries to MV depart from the Cape. So you first have to get yourselves from Boston to the Cape and then get on the ferry. It takes a couple of hours each way.

If you're so inclined to get out of Boston, I also recommend the fast ferry to P-town. There is a nonstop fast ferry from Boston's Long Wharf to P-town, much easier to do as a day trip than MV.

The obvious thing to do in Boston is the freedom trail, which on its own can take a full day to see. There are (free) campus tours at MIT and Harvard if you're interested. The Harvard tours are for tourists, not for prospective students.

When in July will this trip be? If you're here at the beginning of the month, there'll be TONS of events around July 4th. check this website for schedule http://www.bostonharborfest.com/

You don't really want a car in Boston; so I suggest you consider taking the AMTRAK from NYC to Boston. Flying is an option but it doesn't save you any time b/c it's a pain to get to any of the airports in NYC. Whereas if you take the train, the train stations are located in the city. Amtrak isn't cheap though; if budget is a concern, consider taking the bus such as BoltBus, Greyhound, or Megabus.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:58 AM
yk

Just saw your f/u post.

Yes, you can just take a harbor cruise if you wish - you can even choose to take the boat to the Boston Harbor Islands for the day (Georges Island and Spectacle Island) http://www.bostonharborislands.org/ Or you can choose to take a whale-watching cruise. All these cruises leave from Long Wharf area.

The Waterfront is a nice spot to stroll, plus the Rose Kennedy Greenway http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/ It starts at Chinatown in the southern end, and ends in North End (Little Italy) in the northern end. Usually on weekends in the summer, there are some events (check the calendar on the website I provided above), plus food trucks etc. The Aquarium is located just off the Greenway.

$125-$150 is very, very, very LOW budget for Boston for July. I must say you should prepare to pay 2x that for summer...
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Given the budget for rooms, I would consider Pricelining your two rooms.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM

I think both the Boston Public Library and Mapparium are well worth a visit, and neither takes a long time to experience. The primary interest in the former (unless you're interested in using books there) is to see the artwork inside, though, which may not be a draw for you.

Re Boston hotel prices -- be prepared for sticker shock, as it's expensive to stay here. Also note that staying outside Boston and commuting in can be a major exercise in frustration, especially if you're planning to drive in.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM

I was going to make the same suggestions as Bachslunch and YK...day trip to Ptown instead of Martha's Vineyard, or maybe a visit to the Harbor islands.

A couple of other things, just randomly, since you said not really into museums or history...
food tours in the North End... Michelle Topor gets consistantly good reviews for her walking/shopping/tasting tours of the Italian neighborhood
tour of Fenway Park...well, its a little bit historic I suppose. But people really enjoy it.

Also agree with the others that you will be hard pressed to find a room for $150 in Boston in July. But I did a quick scan on hotels.com, using a July weekend (NOT the 4th)
the Park Plaza is a possibility at $163. Its a good location, and gets decent reviews.

The kendell Hotel in Cambridge is available at $153. I stayed here once and really liked the hotel. Its right on the edge of the MIT Campus, and has a T stop practically outside its door. It would be a nice choice.

And that was all I found that was under $200. So you may have to either use priceline, or up your budget to something around $225 which will open up some nice choices.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions....please keep them coming. Fantastic advice everyone. Thanks a ton.

Are B&B's any cheaper for staying ? Apartment rentals (we are 4 of us)?

Have seen tours that transport you from your Boston hotel to Martha's Vineyard, allow 6 hours for touring MV on your own, and bring you back (including the ferry and bus ride both ways). Takes about 12 hours in total. Highly unlikely that we will ever visit this part of the world again, so still feeling inclined to daytrip to MV, as we have heard a lot about the place. I know 6 hours there is not much, but better than nothing !
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Our visit will be on the weekend from 20th-23rd July, and not the 4th July weekend. May help with lesser crowds.
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:07 PM

If you had a day for Boston and a half a day for Cambridge and a full day for the Vineyard, I would say "okay." You will be somewhat rushed, but as you say, you are not likely to be back in this part of the world again.

HOWEVER, I would try very hard not to leave NY on Friday or return on Sunday. This is the height of the summer season, and both New Yorkers and Bostonians will endure a great deal to get out of the city for the weekend. You will have a much more pleasant trip midweek. Take the train -- book ahead -- rather than the bus, which is subject to highway delays. Do not bother with the Acela rapid train, as the regular trains only take half an hour longer and are much less expensive.

I was going to warn you that these are the two hottest weeks of the summer in Boston (and probably New York) but if you are Indian, it should not be an issue -- unless you are from a place like Darjeeling!
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM
yk

You can look into apt rental but I'm not familiar with the listings in Boston.

Even though July 20-23 will be slightly less crowded than July 4th, hotel prices will still be v high. You can try John Jeffries Guest House http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/index.htm
If they still have availability, I'd reserve ASAP. Its location is great and have GREAT reviews here by fellow Fodorites.

To answer you Q about BPL and Mapparium - both are interesting to visit but NOT on my MUST-SEE list for a first-time visit to Boston. If you want to visit BPL, it's best to time your visit with one of their free guided tours - http://www.bpl.org/central/tours.htm Otherwise, you'll be just wandering around on your own and not knowing what you're looking at.

Mapparium is small - won't take more than 10 minutes.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM

A dissenting voice

The Mapparium is one of my favorite, slightly eccentric, jewels of Boston.

It's an inverted globe, with a catwalk running through it. So what's the big deal?

First, it was created in the 1930s, and it hasn't been updated. Just from a historical perspective, I think it's a lot of fun to see how different the world is, politically at least.

But the most amazing aspect for me are the acoustics. If I am standing next to you in the middle of the catwalk and you speak in a normal voice, I will barely be able to hear you. But if you and I are at opposite ends of the mapparium and you whisper something, I'll hear you clear as day.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Ackislander, I realize what you say, but unfortunately our travel dates are not very flexible. We have no other options but to leave NYC on Friday, and return on Monday. You are right, the heat will not bother us coming from India. Strange that you mention Darjeeling, as coincidentally I will be visiting Darjeeling in June for a conference !

yk, I have already sent a mail to john jeffries house enquiring about availability. Thanks for the link.

DonTopaz, I too like the look of Mapparium from what I can see on the net. Seems quirky enough to merit a visit.

Please keep the suggestions going. Still undecided about whether to day-trip to MV or Provincetown. We are not into beaches. Quaint architecture, atmospheric environment, unusual sights etc are what will turn us on. Have not researched Provincetown as yet to see what is on offer, but MV certainly looks interesting.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
yk

Another option for your day trip, instead of P-town or MV, would be to take the boat ferry from Boston to Salem. Salem has lots of historical architecture (it was one of the wealthiest ports in the late 18th-c), and there are guided walking tours by the NPS as well as by the Peabody-Essex Museum. The Chinese House inside the PEM is well worth visiting as well.
http://www.pem.org/
http://www.pem.org/visit/tours

http://www.nps.gov/sama/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/sama/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

There's also Chestnut Street in Salem where the wealthy folks used to live. http://www.northofboston.org/travelo...php?log_id=120
One of the houses, Phillips House, on Chestnut Street is open to the public.
http://www.historicnewengland.org/hi...phillips-house
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Salem is a good idea. The boat ride is pleasant, and you can take the train back to Boston if you choose.

In addition to yk's recommendations above, the Peabody Essex Museum is a museum focused on American life and US-Asian trade in the 19th century. They own three historic American houses that can be toured, all of them very interesting, and a old (18th century?) house disassembled and brought from China.
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Quaint architecture, atmospheric environment, unusual sights ... that certainly described Provincetown to a tee!

I, too, would advise against trying to do a daytrip to MV from Boston. Unless you plan on getting up and on the road from Boston in the wee-small hours to get the first ferry to the Vineyard, and then driving back to Boston later in the evening, the whole day will be much too rushed andlikely a total blur, IMHO. Not exactly my idea of relaxing time together.

On the other hand, the fast ferry to Provincetown will have you here in about 90 minutes from pier to pier - no driving, parking, etc. hassles required.

In Provincetown you can wander the main drag (yes, pun intended), check out galleries, funky little shops, take a dune tour, pig out on seafood, climb the Pilgrim Monument, see treasures salvaged from a 1700s pirate ship at the Whydah Museum, and take in the amazingly diverse ambiance.

Definitely worth your consideration, I'd say!
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Another vote for PTown fast ferry, as long as the weather is good. If not, stay in Boston as PTown is not much fun in the rain, imo.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

yk, we have booked the John Jeffries accommodations, based on your suggestions. Were lucky to get it.

Seriously looking into Provincetown as an alternate day-trip location.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM

My family/roots are in MA and RI and I've lived in NYC for many, many years, so I can speak intimately of the trip between the two. I understand your dates are fixed, but you *will* endure a lot to get out of NYC on a Friday and back on a Sunday, and beach-y areas will be very crowded on the weekend. (But I guess it's all relative: I lived in Mumbai for two months, and our trains and roadways are a breeze by comparison!)

I'd also recommend taking Amtrak. In addition to the fact that it's about the same amount of time as getting to LGA, checking in, landing and getting from Logan, try to get seats on the right side of the train heading up to Boston. You'll have lovely views of the New England coast, and get more of a feel for this area than you would on the interstate (which will also be a parking lot with the traffic!) or flying.

That said, I *highly* advise spending the extra money on the Acela. You will be guaranteed a seat (though unfortunately not a specific seat assignment). More importantly, the Acela is prioritized over the Regional trains, so when there is (almost inevitably) a delay, your train will go ahead of the Regional. However, if the cost of an Acela ticket is more than a flight, I'd consider flying...

// One thing you won't get by taking public transportation is an opportunity to stop for some regional cuisine! When I drive, it's great to break up the ride with pizza in New Haven, CT, or at a popular clam shack. And New Englanders are known for our love of ice cream! Every area has its seasonal roadside shop that the locals will claim is the best. (Of course I have to taste test them all!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -