Reload this Page >

Advice from DC residents

Search

Advice from DC residents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:17 PM
beth

Advice from DC residents

I'm considering moving to DC amongst other popular cities. I am a professional female in my mid twenties, and concerned about safety, rental pricing, single scene? Would I need a car in this city? I've heard that DC is a bit over-rated for what it is. Where do most of the young professionals live?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:56 PM
arlingtonian

It all depends on how much money you have to spend on rent. I live in Arlington, not anywhere near a metro stop, so I can either take the bus or drive into the district. The result is a nice apartment for half of what it would cost me in the district or somewhere within walking distance of the metro.

Single scene here is limited to happy hours. Not very impressive.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:21 PM
beth

If I decide to move to DC I would want to live in the district. I do not want to live in plastic suburbia.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:56 PM
all

Well, pardon us. We didn't know you were such a swinger and only wanted to be with the in-crowd. You pompous twit!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:53 PM
beth

I grew up in suburbian parts of southeast Va. I didn't like it at all. It was miserable for me. I just want to find a city in which I would be able to meet more people with my common interest. If you don't like my questions, don't answer them. Thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Alex

beth , all the other respondents were trying to say is that you could be more diplomatic. You could have focused on the positive, saying that you wanted to find a place within the district, close to work, shopping, restaurants, museums etc. Instead, you knock places you know nothing about (e.g. Arlington) and rail on about "plastic suburbia".
I believe your source of info here has dried up, for now

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:20 PM
beth

we all know that most of suburbia is clumped up alike. I've lived in the suburban areas most of my life, and that was just my opinion. Please, if anyone is going to take offense to a comment made on a freeforum, get a life. Thanks.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Better

Beth, every time you write something, you reveal more of your immaturity and lack of lifetime experience. This may really shock you, but most of suburbia is not "clumped up alike." Perhaps it is you who should get a life!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:25 AM
martha python

Beth, I don't think you would be happy here.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Wil

I've lived in the DC area all my life. Do not live in PG County- it's the pits and crime is very high. Capitol Hill is also not a good place to choose. Not far from where the Congressional aides and interns live are some of the most violent, crime-ridden neighborhoods in the city. Dupont Circle is generally alive and safe and you don't need a car. (However, to explore, say the Shenanadoah or the upper Potomac or the Chesapeake, I would recommend a car). I know of many young women in your age bracket that live in apartments or rented houses in Arlingtonwith others of your own age and disposititon. You can find parking there and your just across the river from DC. The DC subway is fairly efficient and you can be in the heart of DC in a couple of minutes.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Horror

But, Wil, then she'd be stuck in those horrible suburbs!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Ann

DC certainly is not overrated. But why would you move somewhere that you think is overrated?

It's a great place for people in their 20s and 30s. If you live in the city, don't buy a car, unless you work outside of the city (and many people do). Parking is very hard to find. At my old building, there was a 5-year waiting list. Plan to spend at least $1,000 a month on an efficiency or one-bedroom in the city, and it's likely to be closer to $1,500. Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill (anyone who says it isn't safe hasn't been there in a few years) and Logan Circle are the neighborhoods you should check out.

I'm sure you'll be disappointed to find out that a lot of young professionals live in North Arlington. The Courthouse/Clarendon/Ballston corridor has become "the" place to live. Lots of restaurants, bars, new apartments, and easy access to the city.

The single scene is what you make of it, and so is DC.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:38 AM
prozac

OK, let's calm down. She didn't say that DC was overrated; she said she'd "heard" it was, and that's why she posted here -- to learn the scoop from those who've been there.

Is there a full moon out there?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Kristin

I grew up in DC and have lived here much of my adult life as well. I love it and find it a very beautiful, liveable and fun city, but I'm sure many would disagree - it just depends on what you're looking for, what your expectations are and what your budget is.

As previous posters said, you should plan to spend at least $1000 for a decent-sized efficiency or very small 1-bedroom in any of the most "desirable" neighborhoods. And I agree with the list posted above of suggested neighborhoods for you... Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Capitol Hill. All are safe and fun, although it is a city and crime happens even in the "safest" neighborhoods. There are better deals to be found in neighborhods like Columbia Heights and LeDroit Park, but these might not feel safe to you, depending on what you're accustomed to.

In defense of Arlington (and this is coming from someone who used to be totally anti-suburb and an utter DC snob), it is actually a great town with very easy access to DC and lots of good shops, bars and restaurants in its own right. I don't know much about rents there, but I'd be surprised if they're much lower than DC at this point, at least if you want to be close to a Metro stop and a lively, "hip" area.

As far as needing a car, I have many friends who don't own cars, and 90% of the time they're fine. But the other 10% of the time, they're very grateful that I have a car to lend them! Our Metro system is clean, easy and efficient, but it doesn't go everywhere, so there are times when a car comes in very handy. It's also tough not to have a car for things like grocery shopping, unless you live in an area where all the necessities are close by. The downside of a car is pretty huge though - if you live in a popular area of the city, it's nearly impossible to find an apartment that comes with parking (unless you can pay tons of money for it) and driving around looking for parking when you get home from work can be enough to make you pull your hair out.

I guess it would be helpful to know what some of your other options are, or what you're looking for in a city...

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Johnlw

Beth, you are going to fit hand in glove here in DC.

If you can find an apartment in the DuPont Circle area, it has a metro station. I walk around there at lunch time some days, and see some buildings with vacancy signs. It has good restaurants, as well.

Many other areas are expensive, or not near a metro, or dangerous. The Logan Circle area is undergoing gentrification, with a lot of YUP's moving into beautiful, old, being-rehabbed buildings. Still some crime there, and a good haul to metro.

Come to town and look around, and whatever you do, DO NOT consider Columbia, Md. the most evil suburbia of them all!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Kristen

I moved to DC from Montgomery, Alabama about 6 years ago (Air Force brat). It's by far one of the best cities I've ever lived in. Prior to moving here, I heard many unpleasant things about the city - most of which have been proven the opposite. DC has some gorgeous scenery that you would normally not associate with a "big" city, and it's incredibly clean (for the most part).

It's true that Arlington/Ballston/Clarendon are becoming incredibly popular with our age group - you definitely shouldn't rule them out. However, I like living in DC because it's a much quicker commute for me to work and the places I like to hang out/eat/drink at. While rental prices do tend to get out of control, there are some definite good finds that are affordable. You may want to check out an area called Glover Park which is in "upper Georgetown" and a bit cheaper than some of the other areas. I just gave up my rather large efficiency that I was paying $650 utilities included - and secure parking was $100 extra. Prices in Glover Park typically begin around $850 for an efficiency, and you can get a very nice 1BR for around $1200.

Check out the Washingtonpost.com Saturday real estate listings and washingtoncitypaper.com Tuesday listings (after 3:00 p.m.) for available rentals in the area.

You don't NEED a car, but if you can afford one, it's nice to have. There are so many day trips to take advantage of that make a car worth keeping in this area.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Stephanie P.

beth:

I use to live their in my 20s. It's a great place for 20, 30, and 40 somethings. I'd suggest Alexandria or Annandale, VA. I didn't have a car but wish I did at the time as it is always nice to go to the shore on weekends in summer (Rehoboth Beach, DE or OC, MD).

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
kwl

I live in Northern Virginia, and definitely consider most parts of Arlington part of the city. Crystal City, Rosslyn, Clarendon & Ballston are definitely not suburbia. You have a ton of bars, restaurants, shopping and are close to the metro. When we go out and leave our suburbia home, we go to Arlington. The rents are probably less than in DC, and it's a great place to live. Tust me because I lived there a few years ago as a twenty-something and just only wish I could afford a house there for my family. Good luck with your search!

P.S. I have several friends in their twenties who live in and love Bethesda MD, though it is more expensive than Arlington I believe.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:07 AM
beth

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. So, would it be wise to move to any parts of the NE district? What about Mt. Pleasant? I've heard it was a lot like Adams Morgan.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Jeff

Mt. Pleasant is certainly "up and coming". It's got an interesting mix of students, recently arrived yuppies, and Central Americans. It falls into the 'funky bohemian' class rather than the 'chic' class like Dupont, Cleveland Park, or Georgetown. There's a few local restaurants/bars, or Adams-Morgan is a 15 minute walk to the South. Depending on where you live in Mt Pleasant, though, the metro can be a hike.

In Northeast, a lot of people like Takoma Park (on the border with Maryland) and Brookland (north of Union Station). Both of these have metro stops, and are relatively reasonable in terms of rentals. Takoma has a reputation as a 'granola' kind of place ("Peoples Republic of TP") and lots of U. Maryland faculty and students live there. Brookland is convenient to Catholic University.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -