Nome, AK to Serpentine Hot Springs in the Bering Land Bridge NP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Bering Land Bridge National Preserve there is the wonderful, all natural, totally free Serpentine Hot Springs phenomenon. The NPS has constructed a bathhouse with a huge soaking tub fed by very hot spring water and cold water from the adjacent stream. This is next to a bunk house, which has 2 "dorm" rooms and a common area in between. There is no charge--and no reservations are available. Stop in the NPS office in Nome for orientation.
The springs and streams are surrounded by rolling hills, tundra, and breathtaking geological formations. In the right season, a gentle hike up the hill past the outhouse leads to more berries, wildflowers, and vistas than one can safely take in without exploding. (Make noise to warn the bears you're in the area.) Quite likely you'll see caribou on the hillsides across the stream. Humans crossing over from Asia thousands of years ago must have been so overjoyed to see the hot springs--as you will be.
There are two ways to get to the hot springs--overland or by bush plane. Overland involves a many day hike or several day snowmobile trek, winter only of course. Several air charters fly into the preserve, but at this time only one out of Nome: Steve Fox will take 2-3 passengers in his Cessna 182 for day trips or overnights. His web site is www.foxaircraft.com (I think I am allowed to publish it, but if not just Google him at FoxAircraft.) His address is in Wasilla, so I didn't contact him initially; had it not been for the internet, we'd not have been able to find him and have this magnificent experience. If he's not available you could contact other charters that fly out of Kotzebue, but that will be much more costly.