Search

Adirondak question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adirondak question

We'll be in Rhinebeck for a few days next week on business. Since we've never been to the Hudson Valley area before, we'd thought to spend a few days touring the istates, hiking, etc. Now I'm thinking-- we'll be so close to the Adirondaks, why not go there for a few days also.

Question: Where might we go to get some flavor of the woods/mountains for a few days that's not too far from the Rhinebeck/Bard College area? Accommodation recommendations also much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM

You've asked sort of a hard question. To really get into the Adirondacks (note spelling) far enough that you'd have a true taste of it, you'll be looking at a 2 or 3 hour drive.

Also, since the Adirondacks are huge and varied, it is hard to know what you'd like. Just going up Rt. 87 I guess I might suggest a stay at Friend's Lake Inn in Chestertown.

As I understand it, the leaves are not really changed yet there, but, never the less, you may run into trouble getting reservations any place as fall is a very popular time.

Have you been to Saratoga Springs? it's closer and sort of interesting. Forget going to Lake George - it really is not very Adirondacky (at least the places the public gets to stay).

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering now-- what about somewhere in the Catskills to get a feel for the mountains? They'd be closer, yes? Is there anything quite handsome in the eastern part of the Catskills? Main thing we're interested in is lovely walks, moderate hiking, fine scenery.
Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM

Hi poss:
I know nothing about the Catskills - maybe you should re-post under a different name. Have fun!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:15 AM

One of my all time favorite hikes is Kaaterskill Falls with its 260 ft drop. The trail from the base follows Kaaterskill Creek the entire length to the base of the first set of falls 185 ft high. The second set has a drop of 185 ft. It’s off of exit 21 of NYS Thruway near Hudson. There is a small parking lot that over-fills on weekends; go early. Then, drive to the top of the falls for a really great view. We often combine this hike with a trip to Olana, the home of Hudson River School painter, Frederic Church. It’s a short drive over the Hudson to the estate. You could also consider visiting the Berkshires.

A nice place to stay in Rhinebeck is the Beekman Arms. Here are a few links:
Kaaterskill Falls: http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/waterfa...illfalls2.html
Olana: http://www.olana.org/
Accommodations in Rhinebeck: http://beekmandelamaterinn.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Kaaterskill sounds lovely and in fact we'd been intending to go up to Olana anyway. I wonder, though, whether there would be any "fall." I'm told it's been a very dry summer/fall in that area. (e.g. that leaves haven't even changed color)
Is the Woodstock area at all interesting?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
J62

Drove the Taconic from Poughkeepsie to Albany today and there was very little color along the whole way. Some sugar maples have just started to turn, but that's about it. We're getting very cool nights now, so there will be more color each day, so it should improve while you are here.

If you are looking for hiking, woods, etc you can find that to no end near Rhinebeck, or within one hour drive.

On the west side of the Hudson, near Woodstock, I would recommend a day trip up to the 'gunks, taking a several mile walk around the undercliff/over cliff trail, (park at the visitor center or at the top of the hill. Great views of the Catskills to the W, or the Hudson valley to the E. Or you could also go to Lake Minnewaska state park - beautiful setting, nice trails.

To the East, the Bish Bash (or is is bash bish) falls on the NY/MA border offers some nice trails, woods, etc.

I don't have the specific directions, parking tips, etc on the tip my tongue, but if you want very specific details about any of these areas, you can email me at [email protected].

The weather over the next week is supposted to be great, so you're in luck there.

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:48 AM

Poss, I'm in the Albany area and there is very little color change here and in most of Eastern NY/Western MA. We are way behind last year because of continued warm weather and little rainfall. Can't help you with info on Woodstock.

Bash Bish is OK, but disappointing if you've hiked Kaaterskill. Bash Bish is a short - maybe 1/2 hour round trip walk along a wide level trail, which also follows a stream. The trail passes through NY and MA. The highlight of the walk is an 80 ft waterfall. A flight of perhaps 100+ steps takes you to the base of the falls. There are many hiking trails, too.
For comparison, Kaaterskill is an easy, but uneven hiking trail. The falls are 175 and 85 ft. Sorry for the error on the previous post. If the weather is nice, get a box lunch and picnic wherever you decide to hike.

If you are willing to drive about 75-80 miles, Mount Greylock offers scenic views of MA, NY, and VT. There may be more color change, too, at the higher altitude. Go for a scenic drive or stop and hike one of the many trails. Often, you'll see hikers from Appalachian Trail stopping for supplies or to spend the night. The trail cuts through Greylock. This trip can be combined with a visit to Marble Arch in N. Adams and stops in Lenox and/or Stockbridge where the Norman Rockwell Museum and Chesterwood are located.

Bash Bish: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mwas.htm
Mount Greylock: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/mgry.htm
Chesterwood: www.chesterwood.org
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Wonderfully helpful information from all. Thanks so very much. (We leave tomorrow-- Monday. I'm sorry that we'll miss the colors, but I know we'll be mightily wowed nonetheless.)