Adirondacks Lodging

Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Adirondacks Lodging

Hi!

I'd like to plan a 4th of July long weekend getaway to the Adirondacks for 3 or 4 couples and was wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions regarding places to stay.

Ideally, I'd like to either rent 1 large cabin/house or maybe stay in a few efficiency cabins/cottages that are preferably:

1) on the water - swimmimg and boating available
2) in the woods and near hiking
3) have fireplaces and BBQ grills
4) Not terribly expensive once divided up among 6 - 8 people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
ALF

We had a large family reunion, and we rented a bunch of cabins in Wevertown, not far from the Warrensburg exit (#23) off I-87. Not on the water, but a river is nearby. Here's a Web site:

http://www.adirondackscabins.com/index.html
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
weenie57

Things will most likely be booked already for that weekend (at least anything good), Try The Irondequoit Inn - it's great. http://www.irondequoitinn.com/ Try Morningside Camps and Cottages
http://www.morningsidecamps.com/index1.html our favorite, but always way booked up (they may have a cancellation but it's unlikely). Write back if you want any more info on either of those or anything else.

Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into these places.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:25 AM

weenie57,
what do you think about availability ot morningside during Memorial Day weekend? do you know if they are open before Memorial Day? Thanks,

JS
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM

At this point availability of rentals for the holiday weekend will be very unlikely, but you may be able to get rooms at some of the places in Lake Placid which would be a fun town to visit. Check into the Mirror Lake Inn, Best Western, and Hilton; although there are many other places to stay.

Another option is camping ...Rolands Pond and Fish Creek Pond are ajoining New York State campgrounds in the Saranac Lake area. The sites on Fish Creek pond are more open (i.e., "communal") and are on one large open pond. The ones on Roland Pond are more wooded and private, with all the sites on the pond side having access to Roland's Pond, which is like a small lake. You can rent canoes right at the campsite. (You have to actually drive through Fish Creek Pond to get to Rolands Pond.) If this appeals to you, I would recommend booking sites ASAP ... they may even be all booked by now for a holiday WE.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:41 PM
weenie57

Hi JoeyJo
My guess is that they are booked, but you should call them and see if they have any cancellations. At Morningside they give you the same cabin the same time for the next year, and people tend to go every year. But of course, people's circumstances change and things do open up. Warning - I have never been to Morningside on Memorial Day, but I have been to other places in the Adirondacks for that weekend and the blackflies can be bad. But, it is so beautiful there that it wouldn't keep me away. The lake they are on is VERY small (no motorboats).

Search this Thread