Search

Adirondacks in Mid-July: How Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
SZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adirondacks in Mid-July: How Buggy?

I'm heading to the Lake Placid area in mid-July to do some hiking, swimming, canoeing and outdoor beer drinking.

Here's my question: are mosquitoes, ticks and other tiny creatures a big problem in the north country? I just got back from a weekend on Fire Island, where I got savagely bitten by bugs before I had time to spray on any repellent.

I just want to know what I'm in for. Any advice is welcome.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

You'll be fortunate enough to have missed the black flies, so big that chain-link fencing can be used for window screens, but you'll still need to deal with the miserable

mosquitoes

September is a great time for camping in north country. Really. But come anyway, remembering your repellent.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Deer flies, misc other biting flies, and mosquitos will be the "bugs du jour."

Bring hats - they're your best defense against deer flies. Mosquitos will only be a problem at night - just cover up.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM

I just noticed that you said hiking -- You may need more serious bug protection on a hike. Definitely buy head nets and bring the heavy-duty Off!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
SZ
Original Poster

Head nets, for real? I've never seen anyone actually wearing one. My foolish pride might prevent me from donning one myself.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

I've seen people using them, and think maybe I should swallow my own "foolish pride" and try them. Those with them sure seem a lot more comfortable.

I just feel that I'd look silly; but then how silly does my swatting, then scratching seem?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM

Mosquitoes would probably be an issue. They are pretty bad right now...I've lived in LP my whole life and haven't really ever felt the need to worry about ticks...Deer flies, horse flies, and black flies, however, are no picnic. They haven't been too bad the past few years but the woods tend to be worse.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:25 PM

If you have never seen a person wearing head netting, then you have not hiked much in the Adirondacks!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
SZ
Original Poster

Here's a follow-up: we did indeed go to Lake Placid in mid-July and the woods were indeed very, very buggy. After one mosquito-infested hike (Connery Pond to Whiteface Landing), we rushed to the local EMS to buy head nets. Surprise, surprise -- they were sold out.

We had a great time -- and the Deep Woods Off definitely helped -- but I think our next trip will be in the fall.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM

SZ: Thanks for posting back. This summer was one of the buggiest I have ever experienced in the Adirondacks -- because they got so much rain. We even had black flies all summer - very unusual. Oh, it was aweful. It almost drove me crazy. So -- be sure to come back!