Additional Driver Coverage - Phoenix Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know whether any of the on-site rental agencies waive the charge for a spouse as an additional driver? I cannot believe the hefty surcharges already charged for a rental car at this airport! We may end up sleeping in it!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM

Not sure about Sky Harbor but I just rented from Alamo at LAX and there was no additional charge for adding a spouse as a driver.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM

I belong to Hertz #1 Gold and there is no fee for the spouse..
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:24 PM
Fairhope

Dollar.com says there will be a $6.00 per day surcharge for additional driver for my Oct reservation at PHX.
PS read your reservation carefully--some agencies that say they are on-site actually shuttle you to the cars off the site as in Dollar

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM

Though there may be exceptions, the extra driver fee is not generally location specific, I believe. It is company specific. Some waive it automatically, some do for specials, some do if you belong to their "club", and some will if you ask. Check the companies that you're thinking about renting through for their specifics.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM

When I looked into renting at Sky Harbor, Hertz would waive the fee if you were a AAA member. We ended up going with Dollar because even with the $6/day extra driver fee it was still cheaper. Not thrilled with their service compared to Hertz, but 1/2 the price.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:51 PM

Anyone know if this just applies to spouse as second driver? I'd like to have my Dad as second driver when we go to Hawaii after Christmas, as a backup in case I get tired. But I don't want to waste a lot of money and then find I don't need him to spell me.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Fairhope

OWRP Maybe you can help me with my planning. When I return the car I presume I return it off-site. I am thinking of getting the shuttle to the airport. THEN getting Hampton Inn shuttle to hotel on south 48th St. Can you guess how long this will take and is there a better way?

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Fairhope and owrp, I made a reservation (for now) with Dollar, and found the same thing - $6 per day per add. driver. Still more reasonable than Hertz. More reasonable still is Fox, but I'm a bit leary after reading a decidedly negative post about them.

jlm, it's a bit mind-boggling, trying to figure it all out!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Sorry, I haven't been here in a while. Molly2, just be sure to get directions on how to return the car when you pick it up. We didn't think to do that and just kind of stumbled across the return site. Pick up was very smooth, but return was not (allow plenty of time). After we did the paperwork, they called for a driver to take us (not a shuttle). Fairhope, sorry I can't be of much help as you can see, i'm not familiar with the area at all (had a great time, though)! Perhaps someone else would know the way to get around best.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Bid on Priceline for your car. Look on Hotwire first--it will give you the base price and then the taxes. You don't have to accept that price. Then bid on PL, knowing how much the taxes will be. Most companies don't charge for a spouse.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, owrp, good point. The fact that the shuttled-to location is in a different spot than the airport could potenially cause confusion - for me at least! I'll think to ask for directions before leaving the lot. Thanks!

amwosu and Gretchen, I think that Alamo and most of the others do charge for a spouse at PHX. Perhaps not Hertz, but they're way more expensive. I know people recommend Priceline, but I found a fair deal at Dollar {$371.83 for 2 weeks and 2 days for an economy car}, so I'm satisfied. Of course we still have to add the $6 per day for my husband to share the driving, and the rates are the highest we've paid - anywhere - including Hawaii! Ouch!
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
TheWeasel

Molly2
Budget waives the additional driver charge for spouses.

Fairhope- you may want to check into rental locations close to your hotel rather than picking up at their airport location. It looks like Dollar's only PHX location is at the airport, but there are certainly other agencies with off-airport locations. You'd probably save a fair amount by not paying the airport taxes/surcharges, and it may be more convenient to take a shuttle to the hotel and walk a few blocks to get your rental.

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Molly:

We rented from Fox in Phoenix this past July. A shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us to the rental office. Everything went smoothly. We paid an extra $5/day for the spouse and an additional $8/day to upgrade to a Jeep Cherokee. Our total for the week was $245. Returning, using their directions was easy.

MY
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM

As to the suggestion to rent off-site and take a shuttle to your hotel: It all depends on how far away your hotel is, and how many people you're traveling with.

Keep in mind that when using a shuttle, you're paying PER PERSON. So if there are four of you, that adds up for a round trip.

It may very well work for you, but I found when I ran the numbers for a trip of ours last year that it ended up being a very small difference, and not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like a good deal, Michelle! We almost went with Fox, but right now the difference between Dollar and Fox is negligible. It helps to know that you were pleased with them.

Budget's still pretty high, Weasel, even with the additional driver fee waived. Maybe it varies.

I haven't really looked fully into renting off-site, Judy. Like you, it would have to make a significant difference for me to want to go through the hassle.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Fairhope

I was counting on a free shuttle!

Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Well, if you are satisfied, OK. I plugged in 2 weeks and 2 days for mid-October on Hotwire and for an economy car got a total fo $151 with taxes and upping to a mid-size it was $271.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Don't forget to try "LAST" rate code with Hertz - often substantial discounts, usually on a fullsize. Additional persons (if AAA members) can drive free of charge with Hertz.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, I just tried Hotwire. But I was quoted a figure of $385.85 for September 14 - September 29, higher than the price I reserved through dollar! Perhaps the rates are way lower in October?

Joan, I had the darndest time navigating the Hertz website, and when I did get through, it wouldn't accept the code, even with a fullsize rental.

I sure do appreciate the suggestions, guys. I'll keep trying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -