Additional Alaska Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the process of planning our June 2004 Alaska Trip. The trip is set for June 11th to the 19th. Generally the itinery is as follows:
-Spend Fri PM in Anchorage
-Drive to Homer on Sat for a 3 night stay (Sat,Sun, Mon)
-Drive to Seward on Tues for a 3 night stay (Tue,Wed,Thur).
-Drive back to Anchorage on Fri.
-Fly home on Sat PM from Anchorage

We've already begun to plan the following actvities:
-Portage Glacier Hike, Alyeska Resort Tram Ride, side trip to Hope, Halibut fishing in Homer, side trip to Halibut Cove, exloring Homer Spit, River Float Trip (maybe in Cooper Landing?), Kenai Fjords Cruise and Exit Glacier Tour.

We need some help on planning several things:

1. Recommendations for Halibut Fishing Trip in Homer?

2. Recommendations for River Float Trip? I'm seeing a lot of stuff out of Cooper Landing (note only want gentle trip with some small rapids)

3. Has any one experienced the Kenai Fjords Cruise sponsered through the Seward Military Resort (DH is X military? Trying to decide if we should book that or w/Kenai Fjords national park cruise that is highly recommended on this site.

4. Has anyone hiked to the Russian Falls? I've read this hike originates out of Cooper Landing on the Russian River Trail? But I can not seem to find specifics on how to get too the Russian Falls. There are so many different Russian Trails in that area. Specifics would be helpful.

5. Recommendations for things to do in Anchorage with our limited timeframe?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:04 AM

We are leaving for Alaska soon, with nearly an identical itinerary. I will let you know what I learn. We are going river rafting in Girdwood, with the six mile whitewater co. -- mostly class IV and V rapids, but I know they have a milder class III trip. The raft trip out of Cooper's Landing is much more a relaxing float on the river.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks wagsdvm.

My husband would probably like to do the more difficult rafting trip but that's one thing I'm not really into.

Class III doesn't sound too bad to me though (but nothing more difficult). Any details that you can provide to me on your return trip will surely be appreciated.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

ttt

any other help?
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:28 PM

Karen L:
My family is just back from Alaska last PM. With only one week, I agree with your decision not to make the nearly 750 mile round trip trek to Denali. The drive to Homer from Anchorage should take about 5 hours if you only stop for lunch; of course, you'll want to stop and I recommend staying in Cooper's Landing for at least one night (it's about half way and is a beautiful location). We stayed at the Kenai Princess Lodge (lovely) and they have rooms for $99 on Wednesday all summer long. Homer is beautiful as well but I would probably avoid The Land's End Resort if you are bothered by tiny rooms (I calculated our room at a little over 200 square feet for $155 per night). There's a Best Western in town that looked like it might be more reasonable or maybe you could consider The Alaska Suites that are up on a bluff just as you entered the area. If it was just the 2 of you, there are lovely bed and breakfast places on the hillside overlooking the city of Homer, as the best choice. The River Rafting trip on the upper Kenai River in Cooper's Landing is very tame (2 1/2 hours in length); however, you can add the Canyon run to get into class III rapids for a nearly 5 hour raft ride. There are several rafting companies along the upper Kenai river and the cost for the first 2 hours is $49 per adult with the cost increased to $110 per adult if you add the Canyon. There is quite a bit of bear trouble in the Russian River area in the past month with one severe mauling 2 weeks ago; my kids wanted nothing to do with these hikes and precautions and common sense are required. I'd recommend that you buy the Toursavers Coupon Book for 2004 (when it becomes available) as there were multiple coupons that saved our group significant jack (good for Lodging and Excursions with reputable companies).
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips cdfey. We are currently looking into the best western in Homer, just for that reason. The Lands end rooms that are bigger just don't seem worth the price too me since we are not spending very much time in the rooms anyway.

Did you do the Russian Falls hikes or did your kids win out and you passed? Are the bears just especially aggressive this year or were they provoked?

Do you know of any place else that has class three rafting trips besides Cooper Landing. I think the 5 hour trip might just be a little too long.

Did you spend anytime in Steward or Anchorage? Any must dos besides the Kenai Fjords boat trip?
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:21 AM
MileKing

As I mentioned in another thread, the Land's End "Resort" is perhaps the most overrated hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. You are paying for location here, as the older rooms simply don't measure up to the prices they are charging. The Best Western look fine from the outside and is significantly less expensive. Of course, there is no view, but if you are spending most of your time enjoying Alaska anyway, it won't matter.

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses but still looking for some first hand suggestions.

Especially anyone familiar w/the Seward (Military) Resort.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Karen L:
I recommend CruiseCritic.com web site for more information on Alaska. This site is incredible and the recommendations on the boards are generally right on (pay attention to the Budget Queen).

I have seen nothing on the military hotel in Seward and am unfamiliar with it.

The bears are right at the confluence of the Kenai and Russian Rivers as that is where the salmon are. There is a mother bear and 2 cubs making nightly appearances and the Rangers were closing the fishing for up to 5 hours due to the possible human interactions. We did not do any hikes there.

There is supposedly more rafting on the lower Kenai River (Soldotna and the city of Kenai) however we did not experience this personally.

Anchorage is a very nice town of 250000 and is similar to most American cities. I would only sleep here and spend the rest of your time in the Alaska wilderness that you flew all that way to see. The Native Heritage Center to the northeast of downtown is worth a 1-2 hour visit as is the Alaska Museum in downtown. If you spend 2 straight nights in Anchorage, there are multiple hotels that will give you a free night with the Toursavers Coupons.

The Homer Spit is a bit of a dive and has a boardwalk with the typical shops. The Salty Dog bar is a hoot with a lot of tourists and regulars (...and I do mean regulars...) shouldering for drinks. Not a place for the faint of heart but if you spent time in a few college bars, you'll feel right at home.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cdfey for the tip on CruiseCritic.com. Lots of good stuff. I'll look into the rafting possibilities on the lower Kenai River. I quess I was really thinking that they focused on fishing over there.

My husband and I are really looking forward to our Salty Dog experience in Homer. We try to find at least one "local" bar to hang out in where every we go.

I'll keep my ears open re:the bear issue on the Russian Trail. Thanks for the heads up.

Lots of people on this website have given me great advice which has helped me in planning this trip, since I first posted questions in April.

Particularly helpful were, Connie, Deborah, Rubigayle, Postal and Budget Queen (just to name a few). Thanks to all.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:01 AM

There is a great visitors guide link on the Anchorage Daily News website. Here are some tips about being in bear country and safety tips:
http://www.alaska.com/akcom/western/...p-819788c.html
If you do a search on the site you can read the report about the Russian River bear problem. A fisherman was walking back to the campground.
Read about the Saturday Market in Anchorage. We spent some time there. It's like a combination farmers market, craft fair, food fest.
Check events to see if Alaska's balladeer will be singing in Homer or Seward. We heard he's pretty funny and his name escapes me, Hobo ....?
You'll have a great time.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Karen, regarding your question
Are the bears just especially aggressive this year or were they provoked?

The bears are not aggressive or they don't have to be provoked. But you have to make sure to not surprised them. When you walk in bear country make them know you are coming, talk, clap your hands, let them know. You will find great information on how to behave around bears on this website www.emeraldairservice.com and go to "Safety in Bear country. "

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
According to our eyeballs and reports of friends, there do seem to be more bears around this year. We nearly hit a small black bear on the Knik road yesterday, and son & girlfriend had a close encounter with a black sow & cub on the Exit Glacier trail yesterday, too. Don't discount the blackies - they cause more injuries than brown bears most years.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo it seems that your eyes are not deceiving you. There do seem to be more bear sightings right now on the "main" trails. I read the article referred to by dfrostnh above Re: the Russian River mauling (and several other related articles) and they seems to support your findings. It doesn't seem that this fellow in the article did more than be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He didn't seem to provoke the bears but it was after midnight so I don't suspose that he was making too much noise so he may have startled them.

The Alaskan Wildlife and Fish and Game people are trying to find a solution thats good for all involved. But for now everyone walking on the trails should be done very very careful and follow the advise about making lots of noise etc.

As I stated above, I'm not going until next season (2004). So this will be an issue I will definately keep my eyes open about.

Thanks for all the input.