Activities for kids at Martha's Vineyard

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities for kids at Martha's Vineyard

Hello - Family of four traveling with a 9 & 11 year old to MVY this summer late July. Any must see/do items? We plan to stay 3 nights with friends.

Also, this is a road trip starting in Bucks County PA we plan to stop at Mystic, CT and Newport, RI on the way down - maybe one night at each place.

Would like to plan a different route for the way home adding one or two nights....any suggestions that don't hug the coast?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM

Mystic is going to be a lot more interesting to them than Newport. In addition to Mystic Seaport there is an Aquarium and other attractions. I would spend two nights there, then maybe have lunch in Newport on the way to the Vineyard ferry. You can take the drive through the mansion area and around the harbor, but the Thames Street downtown area is insane in the summer.

In addition to the beaches, your friends will certainly take you to the carousel and the cottage colony in Oak Bluffs. In addition, Gay Head and Menemsha are extremely cool places at the other end of the island.

You will ride a big ferry to get there. Take them on the tiny Chappaquidick ferry from Edgartown for contrast.

Allow LOTS of time to get to the ferry. You have to park in Falmouth and take a shuttle to Woods Hole. This is the most popular time of year, so traffic will be heavy on the way.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ackislander - your handle sounds familiar I think you have helped me plan trips before. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM

Slight correction re parking: You can take the Island Queen out of Falmouth Harbor and into Oak Bluffs on MV, and park within walking distance of the IQ dock in Falmouth.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Vince we are using the Woods Hole/Vineyard Haven ports and we are taking a vehicle to the island.

Plans have changed a bit.....going from Bucks County, PA to Boston then to MVY and then likely Newport, RI for one night and Mystic stop on the way home.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 09:06 AM

family,

Do you have a ferry reservation yet for the vineyard? If not, then you really must get on it.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes emalloy reservation has been made. Thanks for thinking of it.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM

family: I guess that rules out the parking issue, eh?
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 04:11 AM

I sort of don't understand why you are taking a car when you are visiting friends and staying such a short time.

Of course, my thinking is affected by Nantucket travel, which is a lot more expensive.

Parking is likely to be difficult on the Vineyard -- I know it is in Edgartown and at Gayhead in August -- so I would ask my friends if this is a good idea.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Well we will have to wing parking when we explore on the island staying in the Vineyard Haven area and I know we will want to explore. Two families not always on the same schedule so the car will be used.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Family - don't forget your bicyles - or rent them when you arrive. The vineyard has lots of great bike trails.